'HANS' type devices becoming mandatory...

Heres the spot for track talk - Evo's, V8's F1 etc

Moderators: Catford, MGEC Committee

'HANS' type devices becoming mandatory...

Postby AndrewR on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:40 am

http://www.cams.com.au/media/news/latest-news/cams-to-make-frontal-head-restraints-mandatory
The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) is to make use of Frontal Head Restraints (FHR) mandatory from mid-2014.

FHR’s are a safety device that reduces the likelihood of head and/ or neck injuries and are already compulsory in many motor sport events worldwide.

Formula 1® mandated FHR devices called HANS (Head and Neck Support) in 2003 after extensive testing and these products are also mandatory in Australia’s premier touring car category, the V8 Supercars Championship.

CAMS Chief Executive Eugene Arocca says it’s time the devices were made mandatory in all levels of Australian motor sport and expects this decision will be embraced nationwide.

From 1 July, 2014 all international and national circuit races, road events and off road events, except where specifically exempted due to the type of vehicle;
From 1 January, 2015, all state circuit races, road events and off road events, except where specifically exempted due to the type of vehicle.
AndrewR
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Re: 'HANS' type devices becoming mandatory...

Postby RS EVO on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:59 am

I think this is a great idea but hopefully there is a price adjustment for the device so people doing entry level motorsport can afford all the right safety equipment
MGEC Committee
RS EVO
General Forum User

Postby Catford on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Matt, I agree, however it has been a long time since a HANS was $1,200+ where it would have been handy to have a subsity from CAMS & AASA, especially when buying x2 of each item. Today you can buy HANS for $400 - $500 which is minimal outlay for such a premium safety device. I know it is all relative to everyones budget, I respect that, but those that continue to run without one please consider the risk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE

It is going to take an enforceful move like this from CAMS to improve the evolution of how we all prepare for a motorsport event. Soon enough HANS will be just another item you naturally throw into the race kit for the weekend...
Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby EVO85 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Great news.

I have had a serious re-think about my safety of late, and a HANS device was already on my shopping list. Good timing! :)
gotachicky wrote:... should have bought a red one they always go faster :D
EVO85
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Postby RS EVO on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:34 am

Not sure where you buy them locally for $400-$500, maybe put a link up for people looking to purchase one. Price aside though it is a must have device with the speeds of the events.
MGEC Committee
RS EVO
General Forum User

Postby Catford on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:13 am

http://www.racerindustries.com.au in QLD were doing specials on stock in 2013.

Autosport, locally also have also been know to produce impressive pricing on these items.

Further, import from overseas when the dollar is improved for those with tight budgets and ample time to wait for shipment.
Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Return to Track time