Update on noisy lifters?

Anything that you have found out or learnt from experience which you can share to save us the heartaches and headaches...

Moderator: MGEC Committee

Update on noisy lifters?

Postby gsr'93 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:29 am

Are there any new experiences (or confirmations of old ones) on treatments to tame the notorious Mitsubishi lifter noise (tick, tick, tick...)?

If you have successfully used an engine oil additive, which oil did you add it to?

Pro Ma MBL8 recommended in previous posts seems unavailable in Brisbane (Repco no longer have Pro Ma on their computer - though the old hands remember the products). Nulon products remain widely available.

I have generally used Castrol Magnatech at 5,000 Km oil changes, while Mitsubishi have progressed through whatever is the most expensive in Shell oils (Helix plus - Helix ultra) - so my 93'GSR engine has been looked after. No avoiding some extra noise after 150,000 Km of course. But performance is good, and it is reliable, so I am not ready to overhaul an engine if there are simpler ways to quieten the lifter tick.

Recently I noticed Shell Helix plus for higher mileage engines - including turbo engines. Has anyone tried this with success?

I am happy to try the experiment and report, but interested to start with the best experience of others.

RGB - GSR'93 - Brisbane
gsr'93
General Forum User

Re: Update on noisy lifters?

Postby chris123 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:22 am

When i first bought my 94 gsr there was close to no lifter noise at all. Then i changed to motul 4100 turbolight and it made a racket. I used the proma and it worked for a few thousand ks, so if you change your oil often enough that seems to be a good solution. You can get the stuff off Clutz (forum member) as he is a distributor.

I decided to buy some new lifters from meek and installed them not too long ago (as almost everyone has had good result throught getting 3gen revised lifters installed), but ive still got some noise! However im not sure if its lifter related or not. Think im going to change to royal purple oil and see if that helps it.
Chris
---------
94 GSR - 2.5 catback, POD
chris123
General Forum User

Postby AUSVR4 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:39 am

With Motul 4100 Turbolight, my lifters would only tick when the engine was cold. Different oils etc work for different cars unfortunately
AUSVR4
General Forum User

Postby gsr'93 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:30 pm

Thanks guys.

From what I can see, the general experience is that when lifters first become noisy they tick only when cold, then they tend to tick more continuously with higher mileage. But there is not such concensus about the merits of different oils or oil supplements to quieten them.

Some oil additives are evidently intended to help clean out any blockages in the small oil passages needed for hydraulic lifters to work (for a good description, see www.miata.net/garage/hla/ and www.miata.net/garage/hla/cleaning.html). Others seem to aim more at coating engine surfaces to dampen noise. Nulon reckon that higher viscosity oils will contribute to lifter noise, by reducing flow into the lifter. This makes sense from the design for lifters, but there are many different additives in different oils with similar final viscosity ratings.

Chris, if your remaining engine noise is not the distinctive 'tick, tick, tick...' it is probably not the lifters. But maybe the right oil can provide some protective coating that quitens noise from several engine components. In my case Shell helix ultra (fully synthetic) has not quietened the lifters at all, so I am willing to try something with additives designed for higher mileage (I guess 150,000 km from a 1.8l engine qualifies) - provided it is recommended for turbos.

If there are no additional insights today that scare me off, I will make the oil change to semisynthetic 'Helix plus 15W50 for higher mileage engines' and let you know the outcome.

RGB - GSR'93 - Brisbane
gsr'93
General Forum User

Postby gsr'93 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:37 am

OK, I tried it. After looking at the diagrams of how the lifters work, I was sceptical that anything other than cleaning out the passages could help, but figured no harm trying an oil from a reputable supplier with a recommendation for turbo engines and within spec from Mitsubishi for my engine.

The result is: Wow, amazing - no lifter noise after the first few seconds following start-up! Not sure if it will work for all, and I would stick with a top synthetic oil to minimise wear if your engine has not developed lifter noise yet (especially if you race/rally/otherwise thrash it), but if you are tired of lifter noise for regular/spirited driving try it: Shell helix plus 15W50 High Mileage (HM).

With Shell helix ultra (assuming my local Mitsubishi service people really use what is on the windscreen label), lifter noise was continuous and intrusive. With helix plus HM it is gone! I have used helix plus before without eliminating the noise, so it seems like there has been a genuinely useful formulation change in the new HM product. So far great over several trips and several hundred km. I will update if anything changes.

One thing to add is that (like Chris after he replaced lifters) there is still some engine noise. My wife (who is a cat fan) says it purrs - not a bad description. 'Purrroowww, purrroowww,...' on a cycle of about 1 second, with engine hot or cold. To put it in perspective, I have to turn off radio and A/C fan, and listen carefully at idle - no louder than the cabin air fan on speed 2, but there if you listen. No idea what in an engine causes that - but it shows that HM is not magic against all noise. I have a bottle of Nulon performance engine treatment (recommended by another forum member in an earlier thread) - which now I do not need to try against lifter noise - but after a few more days to enjoy the absence of the ticking, I may give it a try to see if it silences the purr.

RGB - GSR'93 - Brisbane
gsr'93
General Forum User

Postby gsr'93 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:38 pm

1000 Km update: Still no lifter noise - very happy! Give it a try: Shell helix plus 15W50 High Mileage.

I then tried the Nulon performance engine treatment to see if it would remove the purr. No effect whatsoever. Save your money.

RGB - GSR'93 - Brisbane
gsr'93
General Forum User

Postby cm5a on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:05 pm

Pro Ma MBL8 is definitely the way to go, i put it in with castol edge sport the 5w-30 stared my gsr up and it ticked for a bit 2 or 3 mins then stopped and hasent been back since cold or hot absolutely luv the stuff you can buy it off trademe.co.nz and theyl post it out to auz or..

chris123 wrote:When i first bought my 94 gsr there was close to no lifter noise at all. Then i changed to motul 4100 turbolight and it made a racket. I used the proma and it worked for a few thousand ks, so if you change your oil often enough that seems to be a good solution. You can get the stuff off Clutz (forum member) as he is a distributor
cm5a
General Forum User

Postby warbo on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:13 pm

Just adding my 2 cents worth to the noisy lifter discussion. I just recently rebuild my rvr engine and expected to have to buy new lifters. But when the lifters were removed they appeared to be relatively unmarked although when bleeding them down there were at least 2 that had some sort of build up of black junk inside. After engine rebuild, Shell helix 20w 50 was used and apart from the initial expected noise for the first 5 or so minutes, the lifters were like new. For those running low viscosity oils such as 0W or 5w, be careful. Lower viscosity numbers do not mean that much from my own experience ( have rebuild 3 different mitsi engines in the last 3 years). Anyone thinking 20w 50 is too thick (high viscosity) is incorrect. Just takes a little longer to warm engine oil oil. Penrite also have a good 20w 50 oil although is not widely stocked at many of your common motor parts shops. 20w 50 is also suitable for track days. I did notice a slight ticking after about 5000 km although was eliminated after changing the oil as required. Enjoy.
warbo
General Forum User

Postby gsr'93 on Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks Warbo, it is especially interesting to hear from somebody who has done more to engines than pour oil into the top.
Pleasingly, because they were previously ticking noisily all the time, I hear no lifter tick at all -- even straight after start-up -- following the change to Helix Plus 15W50 High Mileage.
I will post if that changes before my next (5,000 km) oil change.
gsr'93
General Forum User

Postby gsr'93 on Sun May 10, 2009 9:19 am

After about 4,000 km there was a progressive return of the lifter noise, initially just at start-up, then lasting longer as the engine warmed up. At that time the waterpump coincidentally sprang a leak, so there was a major repair job which requires removing the timing belt (and replacing it for the first time in 1558,000 km) as well as the water pump. So I changed the oil at the same time, with the same benefit as before.

BTW, I have just traded the 93 GSR (in exceptional condition) with a return of $9,100 off of the $27,000 purchase price of a new vehicle.

Sad to part with it, but starting to cost a lot in repairs (like $600 for the water-pump and timing belt replacement). A rare vehicle said the trade-in assessor - hope it is enjoyed by an enthusiast in future.
gsr'93
General Forum User

Postby carrot-76 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:27 pm

$9,300 trade in for a GSR? That's insanely good!

Wish I hadn't sold mine for $5,500 now - only had 130,000 K's on the clock and JDM Recaros

If you'r going to sped hundreds on different fancy oils and additives that are only ever going to be a band-aid fix, you may as well bite the bullet and buy some Meek "non-tick" lifters for $200 and never have to worry about it ever again.

http://www.meek.com.au/index.php?act=vi ... ductId=168

It's not what oil or how clean the lifters are with a GSR, it's all down to the fact that the factory lifters don't flow enough oil even when new.
carrot-76
General Forum User

Return to Tip and Tricks To Share