Easy replacement for gsr plug cover panel

Body kits, neons, lightings, paint jobs, anything to make your car a show car.

Moderator: MGEC Committee

Easy replacement for gsr plug cover panel

Postby gsr'93 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:13 pm

From the forums, others have also found that the black plastic cover over the plugs (on the gsr 4g93T DOHC 1.8l engine) eventually becomes brittle and crumbles. For more about this engine series, see 'The Mitsubishi 4G9x Engine Guide' at www.sioloon.com/japan-korea-f99/mitsubi ... -t4209.htm

Seems like you can get a replacement from Mitsubishi (order from Japan) for something above $200 (well at least it is still available, unlike the handbrake adjustment cable - but that is another story). The cover is largely a cosmetic item (may help to keep spray and muck away from your plug holes in some situations) - so you may not reckon it justified that cost. But to me the engine looks poorer for a gaping trough without the cover - and you can easliy make it look 'better than new'.

It is simple to DIY: you just need an offcut of 2mm aluminium from a local sheet metal shop, a hacksay, drill and file. For some glim, you can add gold letters from your local hardware shop (in the letterbox area in bunnings). Total cost still under $30, takes only an hour or so, and then lasts forever.

About the only tricks are:
(i) use the old cover to mark out a template {saves time, if you can do it before the old cover fully disintegrates};
(ii) save the attachment bolts from the old cover {saves hunting around for something else of the same length and thread};
(iii) use the hacksaw blade carefully in a one-end holder for the middle of the long cut;
(iv) slot the bolt holes slightly if you do not pot them perfectly from the template;
(v) clamp the cover firmly to a suitable bench before making the bend at the LHS {a few deft blows with a rubber mallet may help}.

Pictures show the result in place. Enjoy it every time you open the bonnet!

IMGP1659.JPG

IMGP1661.JPG

RGB - gsr'93 - Brisbane
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsr'93
General Forum User

Re: Easy replacement for gsr plug cover panel

Postby gilly on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:57 pm

not too bad.

I still prefer the look of no spark plug cover. You give the rocker cover a coat of paint, leave off the spark plug cover and it looks awesome.

gilly
MGEC Web Team
MGEC Web Team

Re: Easy replacement for gsr plug cover panel

Postby gsr'93 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:27 pm

or you can do both ... I guess you need to be careful about which paints in that environment.
gsr'93
General Forum User

Return to Interior / Exterior Modifications