2013 World Time Attack Challenge - October 18th & 19th

Other CAMS Events available for spectating or participating. Entry Level Rally, Come n Try days, etc...

Moderators: Catford, MGEC Committee

Re: 2013 World Time Attack Challenge - October 18th & 19th

Postby Catford on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:47 pm

WTAC wrote:Australia’s Tallest Poppy
Posted on July 31, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

The moment we announced the Nemo Evo back in 2012, the time attack community seemed to have split into two camps; the first dismissing it as just another “pretender” with way too much aero and not enough anything else, and the second tipping it as a potential outright winner of the event.

To be perfectly honest, we thought Nemo team was going to treat the 2012 WTAC as a test-and-tune outing and that we wouldn’t see the full potential of the car until the following year. The Nemo guys obviously had other plans.

From its first outing in the practice session there was no doubt in anyone’s mind that Nemo was out for a kill. Two days later as the team were crowned the new World Time Attack Champions we started getting messages via facebook and email questioning whether Nemo is a “real” time attack car and if it indeed complies with all the rules.

Almost a year later the debate still seems alive and well every time we run a story on the car or even post images of it on our facebook. At the heart of it all are a few myths, assumptions and half-truths, so we’ll attempt to separate fact from fiction for the WTAC fans.

1. Nemo did not comply with the 2012 WTAC rules.
That is definitely False. The build definitely pushed the boundries of what is possible to achieve within the WTAC rules but it was well within of what’s allowed. One of the biggest differences between Nemo and other Pro Class cars is that Nemo was built specifically with WTAC in mind. It was not an evolution of a car that started as a tarmac rally racer and gradually progressed to a time attack car. It was designed and built with one specific goal in mind – to win the World Time Attack Challenge.

As the new rules for the 2013 event were released the team manager, Mark Rayner simply said: “No problem, we’ll rebuild the car to comply.” That was it. No discussions or negotiations were held.

2. It’s not really an Evo, there aren’t any Evo parts left on it.
False, Nemo retained as much (or as little) of the original car as the rules allowed. The gull wing door and big aero concealed the actual shape of the car but look past it and you can see the original shape is still there. In fact, Nemo is probably closer to an Evo than the Garage Revolution car is to an RX-7.

3. It’s the most expensive time attack car ever built.
False. As Mark Rayner pointed out in his interview, Nemo was the only car that had no secrets – the build diary, all the components and even the total cost of the build were made public. This, unfortunately made some people think that it was the most complex, most expensive and most radical time attack concept ever undertaken. It wasn’t.

A lot of other teams use the same technology and products as Nemo but are a bit more secretive about their cars. And while we can’t disclose any amounts we can assure that, whilst this was not a budget build by any means, Nemo is certainly not the most expensive car ever to compete at WTAC. Not by a long shot.

4. It has been built using all custom-made parts.
False Another incorrect assumption. Many engine, forced induction, suspension, clutch, gearbox, brake and engine management components are off the shelf products. Sure there are also a lot of specialized handmade parts in the build but you will find this is the case with just about every pro level car. After all that is why it is the PRO CLASS. Look at Nemo’s list of sponsors and you will see it’s a showcase of Australian companies that jumped onboard to promote their products.

We have spoken with several of them and have been assured that while Nemo has all the “top end” products, these are nevertheless available in exactly the same form to anybody else.

5. It’s not built in the true spirit of Time Attack.
Okay, now we are getting into the not so easily rationalized area of the “spirit” of time attack and how to define it. We have had some people claim that all the Japanese Pro Class cars are street-legal. This is so far removed from reality we are not even going to tackle it. More to the point is the relevance of the race car to a street car.

One of the comments we’ve heard was that enthusiasts want to buy body kits for their cars that are based on the race cars they like. This is a valid point, the demand for a street body kit based on Nemo’s aero would be negligible but it’s worth noting that when you buy a RE Amemiya kit for your FD RX7 it is far removed from the bodywork you see on their Hurricane race car. By that logic should we restrict the aero to the homologation of a “street kit”?

The body kit issue aside, the “spirit” of time attack to us has always been speed, and how much of it can be extracted from a car based around a production “tuner” car. Time attack to us is a competition between tuners, builders and parts manufacturers as much as it is between cars and drivers. No excuses, very few rules, just pure speed. To make cars slower and less exciting to watch would be, in our opinion, against the spirit of time attack.

The funny thing is, most Nemo critics have no problems watching similarly modified cars compete in the DTM series or Pikes Peak and have not raised any issues with the more aerodynamically inclined FD RX7s of Garage Revolution or RE Amemiya. The massively modified Sierra Sierra Evo (which, aero aside, was probably as radical as Nemo) didn’t get any complaints.

So a question begs to be asked, if Nemo was built by a team from overseas, USA or Japan, would it still attract so much debate? If, in the quiet of your own room you answer “no” then what we have here is one of the biggest examples of the “Tall Poppy Syndrome” in Australian motorsport history.

As the World Time Attack Challenge approaches its fourth year, the cars have never been faster and the competition in every class is getting fiercer every year. If we deem the likes of Nemo to be too radical for the sport then we effectively follow the path of V8 Supercars or NASCAR series allowing the rules and restrictions dictate the limit for the cars, not the tuners, drivers or the ingenuity of engineers. Would that really be in the “true spirit” of time attack racing? After all wasn’t it meant to be: man & machine against time?

We are going to open a can of worms by leaving the comments open for this article, so feel free to share your views – which would you rather come to see; an event with few restrictions, crazy aero, new records and cars that look different from year to year (much like the Pikes Peak Hill Climb) or a heavily controlled, restricted and sanctioned event where all the cars have to adhere to a certain “look” and follow the same modifications.

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:51 pm

WTAC wrote:Open Class: Piazza Doro Racing Evo 9
Posted on August 1, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

If there is one guy that “eats, sleeps and breathes” what we do its got to be “the worlds fastest barrista”, Nik “The Spartan” Kalis.

He has competed from the very early days at Oran Park Superlap and is the only guy in the history of World Time Attack to stand on the top step of the podium in two separate classes, Clubsprint Class in 2010 and Open Class in 2011 and like the saying goes “once you have tasted champagne, you will chase it again and again”.

For 2013 “the Spartan” returns with a much wilder ride that now includes a 6 speed sequential shift Mactrac transmission and an even wilder dry sump stroker engine with a GTX 3582 Twin Scroll turbo kit and no doubt more power than ever. As well as this the car now sports revised aero design specifically to maximize downforce within the 2013 Open Class regulations.

“I am itching to get out there this year” said Nik “with the new sequential gearbox the cars feels like lightening now and we will have a fresh “bullet” in the engine bay come October after we lost an engine in recent testing. I have now gone to a dry sump system which should fix all the reliability issues once and for all. No doubt this year will be a tougher field than ever before but I certainly plan on running right at the front, that is the plan anyway”.

“I never go out just to run around, I am way too competitive for that and all of my sponsor deals are done based upon the fact I have got results, So yes I am coming to win!”

Team Piazza Doro
Class: Open
Car: Mitsubishi Evo IX – Evangeline
Driver: Nik ” The Spartan” Kalis
Car builder/tuner: I.S MOTOR RACING and V-Sport
Team Website :https://www.facebook.com/Evangeline300

Car Specs:
Engine: Nitto 2.3L stroker
Gearbox: 6 speed sequential stick shift
Suspension: Tein Super Racing & Full Super Pro Handling Kit w Nagisa Arms
Brakes: AP Racing Font and stock Rears
Wheels: AME TM02 18 x 11 +10 from Autotechnik
Electronics: Haltech Platinum Pro Plugin
Aero: APR KIT w Custom Carbon Fibre by CARBON TOM
New GTX 3582 Twin Scroll turbo kit

Perfromance:
Power Output: 500hp+ atw
Fastest Lap: 1.34’8 @ Sydney Motorsport Park – NSW

Thanks to:
Piazza Doro
Royal purple
IS Motor Racing
Hankook
Haltech ECU
Tein – Fulcrum Suspensions – Super Pro
Spinning Wheel Tyres
V-Sport
Entra Imports
Prospeed Racing
RHD Japan
Plazmaman
KSP Spacers
Martini Racing 116
Nagisa
Carbon Tom
Driving Solutions

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:04 pm

WTAC wrote:Pro Am Class: Chelva Holdings / AMP Racing Charade/Honda
Posted on August 2, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

When we heard a Daihatsu Charade wanted to enter in the Pro-Am class at WTAC our initial reaction was “you want to enter a what in where??” but the moment we laid eyes on the Honda powered monster it was obvious that this was no ordinary Charade, not by a long shot!

You see when Alex Parisi set out to build a time attack car he had no interest in joining the masses in an Evo or WRX, he wanted something totally different, something left of field and something brutally fast.

And it certainly appears he has achieved his goal. With a weight of 920kg “wet” and around 440hp to the wheels you can rest assured this is not your auntie’s shopping cart and is more than likely the fastest Daihatsu on the planet.

“Our goal is to finish in the top 3 outright in the front wheel drive category” said Alex “we certainly feel we have a good team with Miguel Pire driving, Steve Ware doing the data and electronics and myself acting as the engineer and decision maker. We seem to be moving in the right direction in recent testing. We certainly should be close to the mark by October”

“This really reinforces how hot the competition for the front wheel drive category will be in 2013″ said Superlap marketing manager Greg Lysien “Never before have we had such a diverse field of extremely fast FWD pro cars, and this is about as diverse as you can get!”

Team Chelva Holdings & AMP Racing
Class: Pro Am
Car: Daihatsu
 Charade
Driver: Miguel Pires
Car builder/tuner: Alex Parisi of AMP Racing
Team Website: www.chelva.com.au

Engine:
Honda B18C Turbo. Darton sleeved block. ERL 5 point girdle. Manley connecting rods. Wiseco pistons. B16A CNC’d ported & chambered cylinder head. Supertech valve train kit (springs, valves & titanium retainers). AEM adjustable cam pulleys. B16A camshafts. Edelbrock Performer X intake manifold. Garret 3076 Turbo. Tial 60mm external wastegate. Custom fuel system with ID 2000cc injectors and E85 fuel. Rear mounted radiator with electric water pump.

Suspension & Brakes:
DMS 50mm coilovers. Adjustable strut tops. Custom front and rear swaybar. Project MU brake pads with Alcon 2 piece rotors. Hi Spec 4 piston calipers. Tilton floor mount pedal assembly with remote brake bias adjuster.

Driveline:
Honda B18C gearbox with MFactory Pro Series straight cut gearset. 4.05 Final Drive. MFactory 1.5 way LSD. Speed Factory gear change on Road Runner Fabrication adjustable shifter.

Exterior:
Aero Kit with front splitter / diffuser, canards & rear V8 supercar wing. Carbon fibre rear quarter intake scoops.

Wheels & Tyres:
Current – Forged Buddy Club P1 15 x 7′ wheels with Dunlop 195/50/15
Expect for WTAC – XXR 15 x 8.25 wheels with A050 255/50/15

Interior:
Custom Road Runner Fabrication weld in 6 point cage. Lexan windows. Cobra Evolution Race seat with ERG Harness

Peformance:
Fastest Lap:
 @ 
Wakefield Park – NSW

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:13 pm

WTAC wrote:Shoestring budget Skyline set to rock the Clubsprint Class
Posted on August 5, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

While some competitors in the Clubsprint Class may claim the class has become “too serious” in recent years and is now beyond the reach of the average person, John Richardson and his mates have been quietly tinkering away in his garage in Victoria putting together an R33 Skyline on a shoestring budget that he hopes will land a spot well into the top 10 at WTAC.

“This entire car was built by myself, my family and my mates in my backyard for not a lot of money” said John Richardson .It has evolved over 3 years just as my level of driving skill has. To date we have had very little power so we have concentrated on getting the corner speed up, but for this year, as the budget allows, we will be increasing the power level to somewhere near 300rwkw.”

“I have no doubt some of my competitors even in Clubsprint have spent more on their engine than I have on my entire car as to date my entire cost including the purchase price of the car is well under $25K. The thought of competing against 350kw Evos really blows my mind but we will be pushing hard for a top ten finish. But aside from that it is really just about scaring your mates.”

Team: MOTUL/ADVAN
Class: Clubsprint
Car: Nissan Skyline R33 GTST
Driver Name: JOHN RICHARDSON
Car builder/tuner: CHEQUERED TUNING

Car Specs:
Engine: RB25DET
Suspension: GReddy Type-S with Cusco arms and alloy subframe collars
Brakes: Ksport 330mm 8 pot ront
Wheels: 18X10 +35 ROTA & 18X10 +38 RPF1
Tyres: AD08 R 295 R18
Electronics: POWER FC
Aero: carbon rear wing and front frp splitter with alloy undertray. Hypergear 21U hi-flow
Misc: 53mm radiator | oil cooler | power steering cooler Greddy type-s dampers 10/7 BC Racing spring Cusco front camber and castor Whiteline swaybars Cusco alloy sub-frame lock Ksport 330mm brakes with 8 pot calipers | EBC Blue pads Standard rear brakes | EBC yellow pads Nismo Diff 850cc Blitz Injectors

Performance:
Power: 260rwkw (United E85)
Fastest Lap: 1.31.1 @ Winton Raceway – VIC
1.47 @ Phillip Island (AD08 255 R17)
1.22 @ Sandown (AD08 255 R17)

Thanks to: Yokohama, Motul, DT Panels, Chequered Tuning, Hypergear Turbo, TyrePower

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:26 pm

WTAC wrote:Home Built Open Class Dogzilla R32 GTR
Posted on August 5, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

Another car that has an almost cult following in its home town of Adelaide is the R32 GTR of Mark Jantke that is affectionately known as DOGZILLA Racing.

The car has been a real threat in recent times to many far more experienced teams in the local South Australian Time Attack series with a first round outright win and second outright to back it up in the following round.

But what has the tongues really wagging is the fact that this car is built almost entirely by Mark and his mates in his shed at home, and what is even more amazing is that Mark is not a mechanic but in fact a Landscape Gardener!

“I do as much as I can myself to keep costs to a minimum” said Mark “there has been a lot of trial and error and my mates have been a big help too, there have certainly been a lot of late nights in the shed.”

One of the mates Mark speaks of is time attack and drift legend Simon Podlewski from Morpowa in Adelaide.

“Simon was actually the guy that inspired me to go all out” said Mark “I was doing track days when this car was a road car and Simon would roll up in his 2JZ/180sx (second in Open Class WTAC 2011) and I would watch in awe as he went out and lapped Mallala.”

“He has been a great help all the way and has done all the tuning and the mechanical parts that I have not been confident to tackle myself and also helped with the aero design from his past experience on his own car. He would draw it and I would make it, and we were able to do some deals were I could help him with his garden and he would help me with my car!”

Simon admits: “Lets just say my paving and garden have never looked so good!”

Team: Dogzilla Racing
Car Nissan R32 GTR
Driver: Mark Jantke
Web: https://www.facebook.com/DogZillaRacing

Car Specs:
Engine: RB26Dett forged internals Tomei 260 degree camshafts and springs
Turbos: Garrett 2860-5s
Gearbox: factory (but dogbox is coming:-)
Suspension: MCA coilovers
Brakes: Alcon 6 piston front project Mu pads all round
Wheels: Enkei RPF 01
Tyres: yokohama AO50
Electronics: Apexi power FC
Aero: home built with Simon Podlewski design

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:33 pm

WTAC wrote:BPG Racing / Zen Garage: Father and son to face off in the Open Class
Posted on August 8, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

As well as the stunning show that the Zen Garage crew always put on, their brand will also be represented by the second half of the BPG Racing team with the local father and son team of Craig and Adam Burgess.

Just like the sister car of John Bright, this car has been the subject of many years of development and now sports a wild dry sump RB27 engine backed by a sequential Holinger 6 speed transmission.

The driving will be shared by both Craig and Adam on both days with a rivalry not only with other teams but also for Adam who likes nothing better than “knocking off Dad”.

“Our goal is for the car to finish in the top ten of the Open Class” said Craig “and we predict that with the competition hotter than ever, for that to happen we will need to be in the mid thirties, which is entirely possible. All going well we would like to break the 1.35 barrier .”

Team: BPG racing/Zen Garage
Driver: Craig/Adam Burgess
Car builder/tuner: Wall Racing
Car: Nissan Skyline R32 GTR

Engine:
Nissan RB27
- Stroked to RB27
- HKS 25/30 turbos
- Dry sumped

Gearbox: Holinger 6 Speed
Suspension: MCA coilovers
Brakes: AP 6 pot fronts / AP 4 pot rears
Wheels: Enkei Gtc 01′s
Tyres: Advan A050
Electronics: Haltech
Aero: Voltex rear spoiler, Speedbox front splitter

Performance:
Fastest Lap: 1:02.8 @ Wakefield Park – NSW
Power Output: 500kw

Thanks to:
- Bright Print Group
- BT motorsport Smithfield
- Zen Garage / Allstars
- Queen Street Customs

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:38 pm

WTAC wrote:Aero Time for Tilton
Posted on August 9, 2013 by superlap

No, this is not the “Large-ish Hydron Collider”, this is in fact the wind tunnel where Voltex has been fine tuning Tilton’s new aero.

The 2012 event has dramatically highlighted the importance of aerodynamics in time attack racing and sent many teams back to the drawing board.

For Tilton Racing it was a case of stepping back and re-evaluating the car and its potential. Despite suffering from mechanical gremlins the team still managed a 2nd overall, well ahead of some very serious competition. This proved that the car/driver/team combination was solid but the car needed to be faster and more stable.

“For 2013 the car will have a bit more power and a paddle shifter fitted to the Holinger transmission,” said the team owner Kostinken Pohurukov, “but our main focus is on improving the aerodynamics and stability.”

This is where Nakijima-san and Voltex come in. Those two names, along with Tarzan’s driving skills are widely credited for CyberEvo’s two consecutive WTAC Titles (2010 and 2011), so it made a perfect sense to use their knowledge and expertise to improve the aerodynamics of the Tilton Evo.

But while acknowledging the need to rethink the aero, Kosta is not convinced bigger is always better. “There was plenty of wild aeros at last year’s WTAC,” said Kosta, “some of them worked and some didn’t.”

“Our aim is to make the aero smarter and better not just bigger and wilder. The bottom line is it needs to make the car faster. Its outrageous looks aside, the aero on Nemo’s Evo just works as it was intended to, and that is its biggest strength.”

The entire Tilton team is acutely away that Nemo is the car they will need to beat in October. In such a competitive environment not to evolve is to be left behind, and if there is one thing Tilton Racing know how to do very well is to evolve.

Where it all started: This is the car that dominated the original Superlap Australia events back in 2008 and 2009.

Tilton debuted their then “new look” car in 2011. The team narrowly missed out on a podium finish coming 4th after CyberEvo, Sierra Sierra and Garage Revolution.

The team at Tsukuba earlier this year. Racing at Tsukuba proved challenging but provided plenty of invaluable data.

“The whole time attack landscape has changed dramatically in 2012. But make no mistake, we intend to be right at the pointy end of it, and that needs to include the top step of the podium at WTAC.” Kostinken Pohurukov

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:41 pm

WTAC wrote:Clubsprint Class: Road Track Rally Evo X
Posted on August 11, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

One of the teams that has been quietly tinkering away for the past twelve or so months refining an already potent package is the Road Track Rally team from Melbourne and their super quick Evo X. These guys finished on the podium at WTAC 2012 in the Clubsprint Class and this year they plan on stepping it up and taking home the winners trophy.

“Plain and simple, our goal is to win our class. When going to an event like World Time Attack, we go there to win.” said RTR boss Dan McCoey “We don’t go to an event like this with an aim for 7th position. That might sound like ‘big talk’ but lets be honest, racers are racers with a competitive nature, so we are coming up to Sydney Motorsport Park with our A game.”

“We believe we have the right car, we’ve put in the required hours for an event like this. We’ve spent time with setup, tuning, testing and development with the car, and the driver Darrin has also put in the time with himself, never has he been as physically fit and focused as he is now and everything is close to perfect as we can get it”

“So what changes have we made for 2013? Well the biggest thing is weight. We have worked hard on weight reduction to put us right on the class minimum weight. We have done some work with the diffs and just generally refined what was already a good thing. Many people ask is we will step up to Open class but to be honest the Clubsprint Class is so relevant to our customer base.”

“First and foremost, Road Track Rally is a workshop and second we are a club level race team. We build cars like this for our customers who want to drive their car everyday to work and then drive them on the track on weekends so it makes good business sense for us to be the fastest in the country in this class, so make no mistake we will be putting it all on the line for a win at this years event.”

Team Name: Road Track Rally
Driver Name: Darrin Morice
Car: Mitsubishi Evolution XCar builder/tuner: Dan McCoey
Team Website: www.roadtrackrally.com.au

Engine:
In-house built 2.2 Litre Stroker 4B11 Engine.
Gearbox: Factory 5 speed manual
Suspension: KW 3-way suspension
Brakes: Mitsubishi Alcon 6 piston front, Mitsubishi Brembo rear
Wheels: VOLK Racing TE37 SL
Tyres: Yokohama ADVAN AD08R
Electronics: Genuine Mitsubishi ECU
Aero: Varis rear wing

Other Modifications:
• Weight Reduction to minimum race weight.
• Vinyl wrap and paintwork.
• Suspension set up, scaled and alignment.
• ECU, ACD Tuning in house.
• Custom fabrication of cooling system.
• Custom fabrication of fuel system.
• Gearbox and Diff rebuild.

Performance:
Fastest Lap: 1:40.2530 @ Sydney Motorsport Park
Power Output: Est 400kW at the wheels

Road Track Rally provides a full range of services:
Log Book Servicing, Diagnosis and Trouble Shooting, Performance Modifications, Dyno Tuning, Dyno Hire, Street and Track Preparation, Trackside Support including transport to and from the racetrack Expert Tuning for every Manufacturer

The Workshop facilities include Welders, Hydraulic Presses, High End Wheel Balancer and Tyre Machines, a Vehicle Transporter and the ultimate tuning tool, a Mainline* AWD Dynamometer! Road Track Rally can make any project large or small a cost effective reality for you.

Thanks to:
Road Track Rally
Martini Racing
Foresite Training
KW Suspension

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:45 pm

WTAC wrote:The Open Class Skyline army gets a new recruit with the Tunehouse R32 GTR
Posted on August 13, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

Another very popular car making a big comeback in 2013 in the V-Sport Open class is the ex-BSM Motorsport R32 GTR that was driven by Dave Loftus at WTAC 2010. The car is now in the hands of new owner John Papoutsis and he is quite excited about getting out there with the best in the business.

“Well firstly we need to actually get the car to the event” said John “anyone that has played around with cars like this will know that the list of things to do in the lead up to an event like this is endless. At the event I will try and be as competitive as I can but with my limited seat time in this car, I also plan on keeping everything fairly safe and having some fun but we will probably stick John Boston in for a couple of sessions to show what the car can really do and put on a good show for my sponsors and the crowd“

Team Name: Tunehouse Australia
Car: Nissan Skyline GTR
Driver Name: John Papoutsis
Car builder/tuner: Unique Autosports/Tunehouse (ex BSM car)
Team Website:www.tunehouse.com.au

Engine:
• RB26DETT 2.6 litre N1 block
• Custom Pistons
• Blitz Intercooler
• Tomei cams
• Argo Rods
• Hi-0ctane Racing 4 Stage dry sump kit
• Greddy Pulleys
• Adjustable cam gears
• Ross Balancer and crank trigger
• Nismo Inlet Manifold
• 6Boost Exhaust Manifold
• Precision 6768 Turbo
• Turbosmart external wastegate
• UAS Custom Dump pipe
• Sard Injectors
• Tomei Fuel Rail
• Twin Carter Lift Pumps
• Fuelabs Fuel Pump
• MoTeC SDL dash, M800, PDM, CDI ignition
• MSD Coil Packs

Gearbox: Holinger 6 speed sequential
Suspension: ProFlex, Custom Pro-Flex 3 way adjustable shocks, Eibach springs
Brakes: AP Racing 6 piston front brakes; 4 piston rears
Wheels: Enkie 18 x 10.5
Tyres: Yokohama Advan 050

Performance:
Fastest Lap: Not yet raced (Dave Loftus 1:35.8 Superlap 2010)
Power Output: Approx 750 HP

Thanks to:
Tunehouse (Tuning, mechanical, car setup)
Unique Autosports (Parts, Engine build, mechanical, car setup)
Bodytech Automotive/Insane Audio (Bodywork & paint)
Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:49 pm

WTAC wrote:Direct from USA: AMB Aero Pro Class Mitsubishi Eclipse!
Posted on August 15, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

Anyone who has spent any time around the World Time Attack scene the past couple of years will recognize the name Andrew Brilliant. Andrew was the guy that penned the design for the incredible Nemo Evo and prior to this had a lot to do with helping FXMD reset records in their NSX around the USA time attack scene and more recently Under Suzuki in Japan.

These days Andrew resides in Japan and is heavily involved in Super GT and vehicle manufacturers aero and engineering projects, but mention the word “time attack” and you will see this quietly spoken American take a real sudden interest.

For WTAC 2013 Andrew Brilliant has teamed up with the guys at Brisbane tuning shop GT Autogarage and they will be campaigning the Mitsubishi Eclipse that ran previously in the US Redline Time Attack series. The car will be driven by American ALMS ace driver Tom Sutherland and prepared by GT Autogarage with engineering support from Danny Irvine (Australian Diversified Engineering)

“From the moment I found a class of racing where we as engineers have the freedom to experiment I had knew I had found my calling in life” said Andrew “at first it was land speed racing which I did in this very car at Bonneville in 2007 but then as the time attack scene took off in the US I converted the car to road racing spec and went on to set many time attack records in the FF class around the USA.”

“Then I moved to Japan in 2010 with my Japanese wife and settled over there. In late 2010 I met Ian Baker at the Tsukuba Super Battle event. Ian introduced me to Under Suzuki with his S15 Silvia and the GT Autogarage guys who at the time were involved in a Carbon R35 GTR build for a customer and also a little Evo they called Nemo. I guess you could say the rest is history”

So what does Andrew expect out of the Eclipse?
“Well to be the fastest front wheel drive is the goal and I know there are some teams that have been making serious headway in recent times. If we can get within 5 secs of Sierra Sierra Enterprises then we would possibly quickest FWD in history.”

“But in saying that I am sure we are not the only team thinking this. There seems to be a race to achieve this within the front wheel drive ranks at WTAC 2013.”

“The concept of this car from day one has been to go fast by learning. All the ideas that set current time attack records have actually trickled down from real world testing on this car. The rolling testbed concept will continue as GT Auto Garage strive to be the top performance workshop in Queensland.”

“We would also like to finish a fair way up the field in terms of outright. Sure we probably will not pose a threat to any of the front runners in Pro Class but we certainly would like to give some of the “big names” a bit of hurry up. On paper we should be fast but as anyone, but we all know, paper is one thing and the track is another thing entirely. On the day anything can and often does happen. The GT Auto guys are extremely good at race prep and I have worked with Tom in ALMS in America and he is an exceptional wheelman. “

“With so many Australians involved I’ve been asked we if still consider ourselves an American team. I guess you could say we are an American team with a lot of help from the Aussies”

GT Auto Garage/ AMB Aero USA Eclipse Eclipse
Driver: Tom Sutherland
Class: Pro
Car:Mitsubishi Eclipse
Car builder/tuner: GT Auto Garage/AMB aero
Team Website: http://www.gtautogarage.com.au

Car Specs:
Engine: 4G63
Gearbox: Precision Automation and Robotics (PAR) gearset / TMZ Performance
Suspension: KW / Robispec / Andrew Brilliant
Brakes: Brembo
Wheels: CCW SP16R 18″x12″
Tyres: Advan A050
Electronics: MoTeC
Aero: Andrew Brilliant
TMZ Performance spline drive twin disc clutch kit
GT Auto Garage run/ maintenance, fabrication and engine tuning
Jordan Innovations custom wiring harness
Magnus Motorsports dry sump kit
Turbosmart Blow off Valve, Wastegate and FPR

Performance:
Fastest Lap: 1:54.070 (NT01 tires, 2010 spec, much better car now) @ Buttonwillow CW #13 (2010)
Power Output: 550whp

Thanks to:
GT Auto Garage, Yokohama Advan, Auger Torque, Australian Diversified Engineering, Precision Automation and Robotics, TMZ Performance, Jordan Innovations, TEM Machine, Speedflow, Performance Wholesale. Magnus Motorsports, Turbosmart, Chassis Sim, PWR

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:00 pm

WTAC wrote:EvoNats sets the scene for an Evo showdown
Posted on August 16, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

Every year the Evo Nats provides a great precursor to WTAC for many of the Mitsubishi competitors and in 2013 the event returned to Lakeside Raceway Queensland and Mt Cotton hillclimb with 2 days of blue skies and 26 degree temps and some serious laptimes.

This well organized event attracted over 40 competitors with an extremely competitive field of well known Time Attack competitors such as Mick Sigsworth in his insane Time Attack EVO IX. It was Micks first time back at Lakeside for 2 years with an entire rebuild on the car carrying the aero to ensure Mick finished the last session to take the win from Open Class competitor Rob Gooley. Mick set a blistering pace of a new track record in a sedan since lakeside was re opened in 2009 with a 51.75. Mick will be an extremely strong competitor this year in his well sorted car in the pro Am division at WTAC.

Rob Gooley finished in 2nd place in his Hairy Lemon EvoVI, Rob opened the day with a time of 54.16 which everyone thought was going to take out the day but as the day progressed times started to drop and the challenge was set. Rob is another competitor who has spent the off season improving the car with a new motor and gear box to put him in a strong position for open class at WTAC 2013.

In 3rd place we had Sydney driver and WTAC 2011 winner Nik Kalis in his new look Piazza Doro EVO IX which had also embraced a number of new additions in the off season to take out position 3. “You haven’t seen anything yet” was Nik’s immediate response “that was on low boost on a shakedown and run in tune. This will not be the case in Sydney I can assure you.”

Clubsprint competitor Scott Stewart in his EVO VI wrapped up the top 4 drives for the track.

Also making a big noise around the track was local boy Nev Scott in could what only be described as the “weirdest looking Evo on the planet.”

There was a number of cars from QLD, NSW but it was great to see the RTR EVO X of Darrin Morice and Dan McCoy make the trip all the way from Victoria (2000km each way) to compete in the event, the RTR team are certainly passionate about their motorsport and Time Attack.

No matter what this has set the scene for a showdown like no other in Sydney as all the other marques join the fore. Big thanks to Danny irvine for the pics and Rob Gooley for the info. Bring on October!

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:04 pm

WTAC wrote:Five Minutes with USA Pro Driver – Tom Sutherland
Posted on August 16, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

Yesterday we told you that Andrew Brilliant is bringing his record setting Mitsubishi Eclipse to World Time Attack Challenge 2013 and today we thought we might spend a few minutes introducing the young American ace that will be jetting in to drive it in October.

Tom Sutherland is an American driver with incredible ability behind the wheel of a race car.

At the tender age of 24 he is already considered a veteran by many competing in many classes of professional level racing in the United States including Champ Car Atlantic, Grand Am and the highly competitive American Le Mans series.

“When I last saw Tom he was a young driver who had just placed second at Laguna Seca in a LMP car and it blew me away” said Andrew Brilliant “I knew then and there that he was someone pretty special as that is one of the most competitive classes and here he was a university student all week and today was standing on the podium.”

“We spend hours poring over data and you get to realize who has exceptional talent. When we decided to do the WTAC Eclipse project I knew he would be one guy we would love to have involved so I contacted him and he was as excited as I am about it so the deal was done then and there.”

We caught up with Tom to ask him a bit about his career.

WTAC: How did you get started in racing?

Tom Sutherland: I started racing very young. I was already racing go-karts when I was 8 years old. My father and I drove around Northern California racing my little yellow Track Magic Junior 80cc. Becoming a quite accomplished junior driver, I then stepped into a Junior 80cc shifter kart when I was 13, and then I began to take racing more seriously. This lasted up until the age of 15 when I completed the Skip Barber Racing School at Laguna Seca and then immediately tested the Formula BMW race car the following day at Sebring. I completed two years of Formula BMW, graduating on to the Star Mazda series, Grand Am, Champ Car Atlantic, and eventually the American Le Mans Series.

WTAC: What are your ambitions as a race car driver?

TS: I have always told myself that I want to race whatever I can and whenever I can. Racing is a fun sport, and if you’re not having fun then you’re less likely to excel in my opinion. My ambitions are similar, I want to have fun. I want to drive for the most prestigious race teams, win championships, and have a smile on my face while doing it. My present ambition is to get Mr Brilliants rocket ship around the Sydney Motorsport Park in the shortest possible lap time and maybe give a few people a surprise at what a front wheel drive can do.

WTAC: What do you like to do when you’re not racing?

TS: This question has always had a complicated answer for me as professional level racing is all encompassing. Throughout my racing career I have gone to school and played additional sports. I play all the intramural sports like football, basketball, and soccer.

Then there’s my hobbies like motocross, BMX, wakeboarding, skiing, snowboarding, surfing, and of course skydiving. On a more mellow note I like to work on my fitness, read books, listen to music, and hang out with my good friends. It’s important to have a balance in my life.

WTAC: Do you have any brothers or sisters? What do they think of you racing cars?

TS: I have a younger sister, Christy. She is three years younger than I am so she has watched me race for many years. However, her and my mother are both accomplished equestrians, which is pretty much the inverse of motor sports. It is actually quite fun because in an average weekend the women take off with horses hitched to the truck and the men fly out with their helmets in hand to another race. It’s just what my family likes to do.

Racing Bio
Tom Sutherland
Date of Birth: 03 Apr 1989
Place of Birth: Los Gatos California (USA)
Hometown: Fort Worth, Texas (USA)
2013- World Time Attack Challenge Sydney Australia team GT Autogarage/AMB aero

2010 – American Le Mans Series LMPC category with Genoa Racing, teammates
with J.R. Hildebrand, 3rd place finish at Sebring 12 Hour, 2nd at Long Beach
and 2nd at Laguna Seca

2009 – Gran Am Series with Racer’s Edge Motorsports, out of 4 races qualified
2nd twice, 3rd twice, one podium finish. ALMS qualified 2nd with Lou Gigliotti
Motorsports at Petit Le Mans in GT category

2008 – American Le Mans Series as Panoz Team PTG factory driver,
Champ Car Atlantic Championship, 9 Top 10 finishes, 3 Top 5
finishes, 1 win at NASA 12 Hours of Portland

2007 – Champ Car Atlantic Championship

2006 – Star Mazda Series Driver for 6 events, Formula BMW USA driver
for two events, finished 2nd in San Jose Grand Prix, 2 wins in Formula
Ford, race track record at Laguna Seca in a Formula Ford

2005 – Formula BMW USA Series Driver, 9th in Championship Points,
14 starts and 14 finishes, 9 Top 10 finishes, 4th at Indianapolis F1 GP,
4th at Montreal F1 GP

2004 – Formula BMW USA Series Driver, 5th in Rookie Cup, set record as
youngest to drive at Indianapolis Motor Speedway at age 15

2003 – Norcal IKF Junior 80cc Shifter go-karts

2002 – Junior Super Sportsman, Kinsmen Kart Club Junior Driver of the
Year

1997-2001 – Started Racing go-karts at age 8 in a Junior 80 Cadet

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:43 am

WTAC wrote:Process West / Autotech WRX set to rock the Clubsprint Class
Posted on August 19, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

For 2013 we see local sprint legend and WRX aficionado Jason Wright competing in the Clubsprint Class in a the WRX he campaigned at 2011 WTAC and finished on the podium in Open class with a 3rd place. For 2013 he has modified the aero, changed a few bits and pieces and plans on putting on some true street tyres and giving the Evo boys a real showdown in Clubsprint Class.

“If you want the fastest street registered, owner driven, performance cars in this years Club Sprint Class, then we are a must have on your entry list.” said Jason Wright “we have worked really hard over the past few months to bring the car back to 100% legal Clubsprint rules and it is now totally compliant with the 2013 rulebook and we openly welcome any challenge.”

“Plain and simple this car is an example of what extreme performance can be extracted from a street registered Subaru by careful selection of parts and tuning and a whole lot of development”.

This car is 2 times CAMS National Super Sprint Champion and 2 times CAMS NSW State Super Sprint Series Winner, in the hotly contested SVD (unlimited rego) class. It holds a number of CAMS lap records for fastest registered car in NSW. In 2011 the car finished on the podium in Open Class with time of 1.35.8 but no doubt we will not run that quick now it is back in Clubsprint format.

Having said that however, even back then we were still a whole closer to a Clubsprint car than what you may think. Back then it was simply a bigger splitter, some aftermarket crossmembers and R compound tyres compared to the street tyres we must run in Clubsprint. So it was fairly straightforward to bring it in line with the current ruleset. We will be right on minimum weight and ride height and look forward to mixing it with the Mitsubishi clan at the front of the pack”

Team Name: ProcessWest/ Autotech
Car: Subaru 2003 WRX STi
Driver Name: Jason Wright
Car builder/tuner: Autotech Engineering – Spiro Papadimatos
Team Website: www.processwest.com.au

Mods:
Engine: Autotech 2.5L Boxer (Autotech Time Attack Series Engine)
Gearbox: Subaru 6-Speed H-Pattern
Suspension: Cusco Zero 3R
Brakes: Project Mu
Wheels: Advan RS
Tyres: Advan
Electronics: Subaru
Aero: Pro-Speed Racing Wing – Autotech Splitter
Other than boot and wing all external panels and glass are Subaru OE, the car has full interior, electric windows, carpet, current NSW registration and complies with all WTAC Club Sprint vehicle regulations.

Performance:
Fastest Lap: 1.35.82 on R-Spec @ Sydney Motorsport Park – NSW
Power Output: 380kwatw

Thanks to:
Autotech Engineering
ProcessWest Performance Aluminium
Pro-Speed Racing
LIC Motorsports
Rising Sun Subaru
Gulf Western Oil
Ross Balancers
Hi-Octane Performance Coatings
Nitto Engine Components
Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:47 am

WTAC wrote:Pro Am Class: Powertune / QLD Law Group R32 GTR
Posted on August 22, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

Another car that is set to make a big statement in the hotly contested Pro-Am class is the red R32 Skyline GTR of Queensland based builder Chris Alexander.

This car has been in a state of constant development by Sydney-based GTR specialists Powertune and now boasts “the best of everything” which includes a “Precision” boosted dry sump 2.8 litre HKS engine with a Holinger Sequential 6 speed, a well sorted suspension package, lashings of carbon fibre and a very capable driver.

Chris Alexander is no stranger to time attack racing and this red GTR is a common sight in his local Queensland Time Attack series more often than not decimating the opposition.

Chris has been around the whole scene for a very long time and in fact was one of the crew that made the journey over to Tsukuba with Mark Berry and the Hi Octane R32 GTR way back in 2007.

“I guess you could say that is what started it” said Chris “from that day on I wanted the fastest R32 GTR and I knew that wanted to drive it myself and as for what I expect at World Time Attack this year. Well, let’s just say a podium finish would be REAL NICE .” Sounds like it is going to be GAME ON in the Pro Am class!

Team Name: Power tune/ Old Law
Class: Pro Am
Car: Nissan R32 GTR
Driver Name: Chris Alexander
Car builder/tuner: Powertune
Team Website: Power tune Australia

Specs:
Engine: HKS 2.8 litre
Gearbox: Holinger 6 speed sequential
Suspension: Ikeya formula with Bilstein coilovers
Brakes: Alcon
Wheels: Te37 -Advan racing wheels
Tyres: Yokohama A050
Electronics: Haltech
Aero: Front diffuser rear diffuser rear wing

Performance:
Power Output: 900hp at the wheels
Fastest Lap: 53,89 @ Queensland Raceway – QLD

Thanks to: Powertune and Qld Law Group
Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:04 pm

WTAC wrote:Top Fuel and Voltex: The Gloves Are Off!
Posted on August 26, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

If there ever was a good way of sending a warning shot to your rivals it would have to be smashing a lap record and the Top Fuel with Voltex have done just that.

With Nob Taniguchi behind the wheel of the S2000RR the team reset the “tuner car lap record” in searing temperatures at Fuji Speedway with a blistering time of 1:40:905.

“This sends a clear message to other Pro Class competitors,” said Superlap CEO Ian Baker, “these guys are pulling out all stops to bring the trophy back to Japan!”

The S2000RR has had some major upgrades since its debut at the 2012 WTAC. Voltex has changed the single canards to doubles and change the shape and size of the rear wing.

Engine scored a dry sump kit, a bigger turbo kit and is now mated to a sequential Holinger gearbox. Even the tyres got an upgrade, going up in size from 295/30R18 to 295/35R18 ADVAN A050S.

Will all this be enough to wrestle the title from the reigning champion? We’ll have to wait till October to find out, but it sure is shaping up to be one hell of a battle!
Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Hillclimb's/Track Event's/Rally Championships