2013 World Time Attack Challenge - October 18th & 19th

Other CAMS Events available for spectating or participating. Entry Level Rally, Come n Try days, etc...

Moderators: Catford, MGEC Committee

Re: 2013 World Time Attack Challenge - October 18th & 19th

Postby Catford on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:30 pm

WTAC wrote:The Brilliant Way
Posted on October 22, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge
We caught up with Andrew Brilliant at the after-event party and had a lengthy chat about Nemo, aerodynamics and his time attack Eclipse.

WTAC: Did you enjoy yourself at the event this year?
AB: Very much so. The cars are really stepping up, the times are falling and the event is getting bigger and better every year.

WTAC: We didn’t get to see much of your Eclipse, did you run into some problems?
AB: We had some problems yes, but we were expecting that. The car has been rebuilt from inside out specially for this event and this was our first outing with it. On Friday we had gearbox problems, so we pulled it out and fixed it. We then went out and found out that our suspension had been damaged during shipping.

WTAC: You must have been disappointed.
AB: I’m a firm believer in the old adage that you have to experience failures and overcome them to succeed. The Eclipse is a long term project, so we are taking it one step at a time. We’ve done the numbers and the car has the potential to be very, very competitive.

WTAC: Why did you decide to go with an Eclipse?
AB: This car has a bit of a personal history with me, it was my first project car and I do feel a lot of emotional connection with it. It certainly attracted plenty of attention in Australia where the Eclipse was not imported.

WTAC: Who would you consider your main competition at WTAC?
AB: In the FWD the Mighty Mouse guys are very quick and of course BYP – that Integra was crazy fast and consistent all weekend.

WTAC: What do you think of the aero designs this year?
AB: I am amazed how far this area of time attack has progressed in the last few years. It’s incredible. Last year Nemo really did set a new standard and leap-frogged the competition but look at the field twelve months later – everybody is getting smarter and more innovative with their aero kits. The lap times prove that they’re moving in the right direction.

Under Suzuki is a perfect example, his car responded really well to changes in the aero setup. He was incredibly fast at Tsukuba and even at SMSP he want faster than last year. He had mechanical issues on the weekend but that car can and will go faster.

WTAC: Were you surprised with Nemo’s overheating woes?
AB: Look, this is racing and these things happen. What people have to understand is that at this level of competition the engines are being pushed to their limits. They are getting pushed harder and harder each year. You also have to realise that aero and cooling are sworn enemies. Your ideal aerodynamic shape would not have any vents in it. So the better your aero kit the more difficult it is to get air flow into the engine bay.

Also don’t forget Sydney Motorsport Park has a very long straight. That puts the engine under full load for a very long time. Your car really needs to be built and set up specifically for this track.

But that’s what makes it so interesting and exciting. This is why I love coming here and why I want to complete this project and see just how fast it can be.

WTAC: So I take it we’ll see you back here next year?
AB: Wouldn’t miss it for the world.

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:45 pm

WTAC wrote:Message from the CEO
Posted on October 23, 2013 by ianbaker

The Yokohama World Time Attack Challenge 2013 is done and dusted and it would be fair to say that we have upstaged every previous event by a fair margin.

Firstly, I would like to congratulate Kostinken Pohurokov, Garth Walden and the Tilton Interiors team on resetting the Royal Purple Pro Class record. This is the new benchmark but we get the impression they may have even more up their sleeve. These guys have been the mainstay of time attack racing since our very first Superlap event in 2008 and very few have displayed the dedication and commitment that this team has year upon year and to finally have the WTAC trophy in their hands must be something they are very proud of.

It is worth noting that every single year this record has been reset from the previous year and the Tilton car is now the outright “tintop” lap record holder for the Sydney Motorsport Park circuit with a time of 1.24.85 and probably the only record holder to be running on “road legal tyres”.

Also a big hats-off to Murray and Josh Coote in the MCA Suspension S13 Silvia coming in second position with a time of 1.27.36 with Earl Bamber behind the wheel. This time is mind numbing for a rear wheel drive vehicle and even more so when you realize this team does zero testing throughout the year and simply make their changes from the previous year on the fly throughout the event.

Nemo had a troubled run but still managed to snare third place on their one flying lap with Warren Luff lamenting that there is still so much more in that car. It just wasn’t to be this time around. And the highest finishing Japanese team was Under Suzuki with a 1.27.95 in the fourth place overall. If we told you that a 1.27 didn’t guarantee you a spot on the podium a couple of years back you would have laughed at us but that is the fact in 2013.

With our new rule set in place the new Garrett Pro Am class promised to be spectacular and it did not disappoint with Mick Sigsworth taking the win with a time of 1.30.9 from the Sutton brothers immaculate S15 Silvia. Jason Wright took the 3rd in the Hulk WRX. The Sutton brothers had the car’s biggest fan, Nob Taniguchi continually peering into their garage over the weekend before saying “I really want to buy this car”, testament to the quality of the build. Pretty sure they do not want to sell it though.

The Open Class was another nail biter with Dean Lillie in the BC Automotive “Monster” GTR making a late charge for the top spot with a 1.31.7 and taking the win from Rick Bates in the V-Sport/ Go Pro Evo X when the latter were unable to repair a damaged transmission in time. In 3rd place was the BYP Integra with Benny Tran pulling an “almost unthinkable for front wheel drive” time of 1.32.6. This time is comparable to the Pro Class GT Auto Carbon Fibre R35 GTR that Steve Glenney drove in 2011. Like I said – insane – and a clear sign of how much development has poured into these vehicles over the past couple of years.

The Clubsprint Class had just as much going on with Jason Wright taking the win in his WRX from Benny Tran in his “street” S2000 and Jason Naidoo rounding out the podium in his Evo.

The lunchtime entertainment is always a hit with the fans and this year we introduced a new event called the Turbosmart Flying 500 that put the fastest tuner cars up the main straight in a show of anger. Think 1000 plus horsepower GTRs and Evos with a heap of other interesting things like the 6 rotor from NZ thrown in and the stands were absolutely packed for this. No doubt this event will grow and we will give it a bigger slice of the pie next year as this year was simply a trial run.

An F40 Ferrari, Audi Quattro and Group B Metro joined the other Motul Turbo Legends before the drift guys lit up the entire track in one of the craziest demos I have ever laid my eyes on. Seeing the passenger’s face in Jakes Jones’ black S13 as he tagged the wall at 190km/h was a highlight for sure.

The Tectaloy Drift Challenge moved to the South Circuit this year and with the beautiful spring weather the fans were out in force, something we feel is much more enjoyable than the freezing August nights we have endured in the past. The show was world class with the number one spot going to a guy many predicted it would – Daigo Saito. Mad Mike Whiddett collected second spot and Gaz Whiter rounding out the “all foreigner” podium for 2013.

The whole atmosphere around the grounds this year was absolutely sensational and I lost track of how many people came up to me and personally thanked me for putting on this show. Another side note was that I think almost every good looking girl in Sydney must have been in attendance as I can never remember seeing so many beautiful girls in one place ever.

On a somewhat more somber note I must mention the terrible fires that were burning around Sydney throughout the entire weekend and in fact our show’n'shine co-ordinator, Steve Gosbee had to leave early to defend his house from bushfire. Our heart goes out to the people that lost their homes.

The photo below, posted by one of the drift competitors, Levi Clarke shows just how close the fires came to the Sydney Motorsport Park.

Finally I want to thank the following people who have put their heart and soul into making this event what it is today.

Firstly my little pocket rocket event manager Amy Boatwright who hardly slept in the days leading up to the event. Greg Lysien our marketing co-ordinator and his entire family who all step up to help every year. Our race director Jeff Boulous who has run every time attack with me from day one at Oran Park.

Inga Whitman my financial controller, Daniel Farrand our Japan teams manager, Yukitaka Iriyama who was helping with translation, our amazing commentary team of Diggles, Mozza and Warren the Grumpy Ninja from NZ, our eligibility scrutineering team of Bruce Garland and Steve Stanley, the Cams scrutineers Scott McGrath and Peter Wilson, Ryan Lewis, the team at ARDC.

Also big thanks to my Hi Octane crew of Kyle, Chad and Moody, the drift judges Alexi, Takako and Gray Lynskey, Renato Loberto for organizing the Ferrari F40 (and a ride I will never forget) and Stewart Reid for organizing the Group B cars, Steve Gosbee and his Show’n'Shine crew, all of our amazing sponsors: Yokohama, Tectaloy, Royal Purple, V-Sport, Garrett, Just Car Insurance, Motul and Turbosmart, all the exhibitors, the media and of course the teams that travelled from around the country and around the globe to be here. And of course all the officials, volunteers and helpers who help us out every year. Without all these people we couldn’t have put a show of this caliber on.

I’m sorry if I have left anyone out but there is one person that I want to thank more than anyone else. YOU. The guy that paid his money to come through the gate and see our show. You are the reason we do this year upon year and we plan on being back in 2014 BIGGER AND BETTER than ever!

See you all next year

Ian Baker
CEO
Superlap Australia Pty Ltd

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:59 pm

WTAC wrote:Team Cyprus – Down but Not Out
Posted on October 29, 2013 by superlap
We caught up with the very enthusiastic Team Cyprus after the event and asked them about their WTAC experience.

WTAC: Now that it’s all done and dusted, did you enjoy WTAC?
TC: Oh yeah, we had a ball! The atmosphere, the crowds, the comradery between the teams and crews, it’s something you don’t experience every day.

WTAC: How did your drivers find the SMSP track?
TC: They loved it. It is much, much faster than anything they’ve competed on back home but they really liked the fast corners and the rush of such a long straight. The track takes a bit of getting used to so I’m glad we’ve arrived a little earlier to have a bit of testing done before the event.

WTAC: You had more than a fair share of mechanical problems, did that have an impact on your lap times?
TC: Look, I’m sure the guys would have loved to go out more, and Andy would have loved to gone faster and be on the podium but that’s racing. This is a very serious event and every team is pushing hard so things are bound to go wrong.

We have blown an o-ring in practice and had a string of other issues but in the end we were able to overcome them and put the cars out on the track, that’s the most important thing. Andy’s 1:33.298 gave us a 4th spot in the Pro Am and Deniz’s best was 1:37.796. We are pretty happy with that but we know we can do better.

WTAC: Will you be back next year?
TC: We would love to come back and have another shot. We would probably do things a little differently though. This is such a tough event and the competition is so fierce I think a one car team with more crew and more spares would fare much better than the two-car setup we’ve run on the weekend. This year was a real eye-opener for us, both in terms of what WTAC is and what we, as a team are capable of.

We have reviewed our logger data and the numbers are actually quite good. We’ve got good corner speed, good top speed, there are a few areas we need to work on but overall I think we are in with a shot at the Pro Am title next year.

WTAC: We loved having you here and hope to see you again in 2014!

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:03 pm

WTAC wrote:Pro Am Heroes
Posted on November 4, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge

The Garrett Pro Am Class made its debut this year and if the times and interest in it are anything to go by it’s going to be a permanent fixture at future WTAC events.

The Pro Am Class was made up of cars built to the Pro Class spec but piloted by owner/drivers as opposed to pro drivers. This provided a level playing field for people who wanted to build Pro spec cars but would be disadvantaged competing against pro drivers in that class.

Apart from the local teams we had 3 international cars competing in the Pro Am; two from Cyprus and one from Japan. This was the first time at the Sydney Motorsport Park for all three.

Right from the outset it was clear Mick Sigsworth (above) was the man to beat. A far cry from his 2012 campaign in Open Class, Mick was consistently fast making the most of all the tracktime available. He sealed his Pro Am title with an amazing lap time of 1:30.957 which, despite some hard charging on Saturday, no team was able to match.

In second place was one of the most photographed cars of the event – the Sutton’s Brothers’ Nissan S15. The car attracted more than its fair share of attention with both Taniguchi and Suzuki both spotted inspecting it throughout the event. The brothers pushed the car to 1:31.8320 lap time which earned them a very respectable runner-up spot in the Pro Am Class.

Jason Wright was having a time of his life, winning Clubsprint and coming very close to knocking the Sutton Brothers off their runner-up podium spot. Driving “the Hulk” Jason was flying the Subaru flag and representing the flat four fans worldwide. His time of 1:32.4040 was good enough for a third place in the class.

Team Cyprus battled mechanical issues, with overheating problems on Thursday and again on Friday. Despite all their problems and limited track time, Andy Papageorgiou still managed to finish 4th in the class. Their times of 1.33.2980 for Andy and 1.37.7 for Deniz are quite respectable for their first outing but, as they’ve told us in the post-event interview, not indicative of the team’s true potential.

The other international entry in the Pro Am class was the Mazda RX7 FD3S of Atsushi Shimaya. Despite lacking the wild aero of other competitors, Atsushi managed to get a fifth spot in the class using every minute of track time available. Considering the fact that it was Atsushi’s first time at SMSP, the time of 1.33.555 is commendable and we suspect he might well be looking at a podium finish next year.

Driven by Robert Nguyen, the 101 Motorsport Honda CRX managed 1:34.1650 and was the fastest naturally aspirated vehicle at the event.

George Whenn’s Evo III made its WTAC debut with a respectable 1:35.47

Luke Ryall managed 1:37.069 in his Civic, certainly not the best possible time for this car but we are looking forward to seeing more of it next year.

There was a strong showing from the Nissan camp at this year’s WTAC. Chris Alexander’s R32 was a perfect example of a quality build. His best time of the event was 1:37.798.

One of the “left field” cars at the event was this curious combination of a Daihatsu Charade with a turbocharged Honda Integra engine. The power-to-weight ratio of this car is incredible and with a bit more testing it could be a real threat to the top runners next year. Miguel Pires’ best time was 1:43.5810.

Congratulations to the winners and all participants in the Pro Am class. If this year’s event proved anything it was that there is a great interest in this class and it’s only bound to grow in size next year.

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Catford on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:07 pm

WTAC wrote:Open Class under the microscope
Posted on November 5, 2013 by worldtimeattackchallenge
While the outright title is, without a doubt, the holy grail any WTAC competitor, it’s the event’s biggest class, the V-Sport Open Class, that seemed to have the closest, fiercest rivalry. The new rules restricting tyres and aero would only make it even more competitive and you only need to look at the times of the top five class finishers to see just how close the racing was in the V-Sport Open Class this year.

Driving the V-Sport Mitsubishi Evo X, Rick Bates was the early leader, beating Dean Lille’s best on Friday and by Saturday morning looking set to win the class with a lap time of 1:32.4260.

But it was the late-charging Dean Lillie in the BC Automotive R32 GT-R that took the class honours beating Bates with a 1:31.798 lap time. Struggling with geabox issues, V-Sport were unable to respond and were relegated to the runner-up spot. With the Evos winning the Pro and Pro Am classes it was great to see Nissan taking the top spot in the Open.

The biggest surprise of the event and the guy we just can’t praise enough was Benny Tran. Benny drove the proverbial off the BYP Integra putting a FWD on the Open Class podium with an amazing time of 1:32.6800. It was the fastest FWD of the event rumour has it, possibly the fastest FWD time attack car in the world. A perfect example that at WTAC anything can, and often does happen!

2011 Open Class champion Nik Kalis missed out on the podium despite clocking in a personal best of 1:33.533.

Simon Podlewski made a welcome return to WTAC with a Move Yourself Racing 180SX. His best lap was 1:34.4456.

John “Boz” Boston pushed the Tunehouse R32 GT-R to a very respectable 1:34.593 and 6th place in the class.

Pulling a double driving duty in the Open, Boston also drove Steve Ka’s R34 taking the 7th place with 1:34.7190.

The Evolution Custom Industries Porsche 944 was a crowd favourite on and off the track.

2012 Clubsprint Class winner, Nev Scott battled mechanical gremlins and only managed 1:36.2680 in the Car Mods Subaru WRX STi.

Jason Clements had a much better event this year, clocking in at 1:40.04. The fastest (and only) Holden Commodore at WTAC.

Jeff Blakely provided a bit of “retro” feel to the Open Class with his 260Z. His best time at the event was 1:49.808.

Bacchus Energy Lexus ISF was possibly the heaviest car in the class, still, in the skillful hands of Nob Taniguchi it managed 1:38.0560.

Congratualtions to all the class winners and competitors.

Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Previous

Return to Other Hillclimb's/Track Event's/Rally Championships