Better watch out.

No illegal sites, or "pretty images" site please. Offending members will be banned.

Moderator: MGEC Committee

Better watch out.

Postby 300477 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:11 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061129/ap_ ... tube_chase

No more putting your driving stories on the net
General Forum User

Re: Better watch out.

Postby Olie on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:28 am

Man i was cranking 58 down portrush last night!
Olie

Evo 8MR
Its Standarish.. Except for those DEFI's and That ARC stuff.... Yeah, Its Standard.
Olie
General Forum User

Postby 300477 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:43 am

Olie wrote:Man i was cranking 58 down portrush last night!

damn hoon
General Forum User

Postby Stampede on Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:46 am

What were the police doing on youtube? they have no place using the internet, I'm 'neutral' towards the topic of speeding, but the police have no business comitting acts such as this. another one of those, does the end justify the means situations? in this case no. not even like he's done something terrible.
Stampede
General Forum User

Postby AUSVR4 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:29 am

Stampede wrote:What were the police doing on youtube? they have no place using the internet, I'm 'neutral' towards the topic of speeding, but the police have no business comitting acts such as this. another one of those, does the end justify the means situations? in this case no. not even like he's done something terrible.

Are you actually serious? They have no right going on the internet - an open public space - and prosecuting people for documenting their illegal stupidity and posting it up there?

If someone uploaded themselves raping someone, should that be OK?

And it's not like he's doing something terrible? The video was taken off Youtube so we have no way in knowing exactly what he did. If he was actually doing 240km/h on a public road, he deserves everything he gets.

But I don't know, I'm one of those wierd "If your going to race, do it on a track" people.
AUSVR4
General Forum User

Postby Sonic on Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:00 am

AUSVR4 wrote:
Stampede wrote:
I'm one of those wierd "If your going to race, do it on a track" people.

Im one of those if your going to race - dont video it and put it on youtube kind of person!!

Jaime
Name: Jaime
Car: Evolution V
Sonic
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Postby AUSVR4 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:06 am

You are a very wise man Jaime... :P
AUSVR4
General Forum User

Postby 300477 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:50 am

I just find it funny.

Wont be long before all cars have GPS and the cops just monitor everyones speed via a big computer.
General Forum User

Postby Stampede on Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:06 am

Ok I typed a large number of paragraphs but it all got too complicated so I cut it all out except for this:

If someone uploaded themselves raping someone, that would be terrible yes, I believe the youtube site was a terrible idea, this video being uploaded onto it was inevitable, anyone can upload anything anytime, either for a 'positive' reason like sharing, like with how you can find lots of TV shows there (I'm sure that's a copyright breach though), or negatively to defame, humiliate and whatnot.

The government has an impossible task, to prevent crime without invading privacy, privacy has been invaded here.
I'm not saying it's ok to speed/break the law and upload a video of the said act, nor am I saying it's not ok, I'm just defending his privacy, and that what the police did was wrong in this instance

You are the average general public user on 'youtube' for example, and you watch a video of someone speeding, you just see it as a bit of entertainment, if you come across a video of someone raping someone, you would be disgusted.

I know that not everyone would see a speeding video as entertainment, but rape sits way above speeding on the list of crimes, as you would find from how a selection of different people would react in the exampled scenario above.

On the concept of all videos uploaded in general, youtube should be held liable for suppling a vessel of broadcast, you abandon a car in the middle of a busy intersection and it's going to be a problem.

youtube need to stop people from uploading a graphical presentation of crime, and the police need to stop people from committing the crime, the police failed because they weren't present to catch him, yet they use this method to fine this guy, why bother chasing or trying to catch speeders with police cars, just put cameras on all roads, and focus on other far more important crimes like rape, but then, the road cameras would have become an invasion of privacy, and then the neverending arguement begins... :?

probably still confusing
Stampede
General Forum User

Postby AUSVR4 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:00 am

Aha you've opened up some good debating with me now! :D

Stampede wrote:The government has an impossible task, to prevent crime without invading privacy, privacy has been invaded here.
I'm not saying it's ok to speed/break the law and upload a video of the said act, nor am I saying it's not ok, I'm just defending his privacy, and that what the police did was wrong in this instance

I think your missing the point here completely. The internet is essentially the work bulletin board: it's open for anyone in the public to walk past and take a look. That means public enjoyment and scrutiny. The Police are a reactive organisation and respond to the needs and expectations of the community. If I made it on the TV, said who I was, then proceeded to launch off the rev limiter, weave in and out of traffic at 120km/h in a 60 zone and then got it off the clock on Port Wakefield Road (all on TV) I'd be locked up! The net is the same as TV, it's just a different medium.
When the internet is intergrated with the newspaper (there was an article on that guy's video in their local paper) the Police have an obligation to respond.

You are the average general public user on 'youtube' for example, and you watch a video of someone speeding, you just see it as a bit of entertainment, if you come across a video of someone raping someone, you would be disgusted.

Some people wouldn't be disgusted at that at all - which is disgusting in itself. But my point is that different people have different levels of 'tolerance'. But whatever they find is and isn't acceptable, it's still against the law. And while the majority of people see it as entertainment (It's good to watch), there's a minority that don't. The Police need to react to them.

On the concept of all videos uploaded in general, youtube should be held liable for suppling a vessel of broadcast, you abandon a car in the middle of a busy intersection and it's going to be a problem. youtube need to stop people from uploading a graphical presentation of crime,

I guess they can only really do the same as Ebay do in this case though. They can issue warnings to prevent it from happening but they too can only really be reactive to stuff like this, and pull it from their site when they notice it. Eventually I think they'll have to inspect video's individually before they clear them.

and the police need to stop people from committing the crime, the police failed because they weren't present to catch him, yet they use this method to fine this guy, why bother chasing or trying to catch speeders with police cars, just put cameras on all roads, and focus on other far more important crimes like rape, but then, the road cameras would have become an invasion of privacy, and then the neverending arguement begins... :?

Your right - it's a never ending cycle. Police can educate but while we still have free will there's still going to be tosser's out there. And there's only so much of a budget for Patrol's, car's, camera's etc etc.
Or you can just focus on rape and murder but crime in every other area with multiply.

OK rant over. That's just my opinion but as we all know opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one and most of 'em stink.
AUSVR4
General Forum User

Postby ticklenut on Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:13 am

I dont really want to get sucked into the law vs. privacy vs. total anarchy debate so ....

In this case the amount of publicity this video recieved brought it to the attention of the law. I didnt see a description of a new "youtube" branch of the law. Internet privacy would probably be an issue IF it had not been posted on a public server. Do take it seriously that a description of illegal activities on any publicly viewable site can lead to actions being taken. Stories of insurance companies etc. discovering things about cars and or car crashes on the net reach my ears regularly. Not to mention crimes being solved by taking the video evidence out of the perp's own camera.

So if you are going to be a prat on a public road keep the stories to just that, stories, best told down the pub without video documentation.
If you do have video documentation best you keep on your computer and only show people you know. Instead of rubbing it in the face of those whose job it is to prevent such behaviour.

*disclaimer*
this post in no way is meant to encourage illegal behaviour in any form.
ticklenut
General Forum User

Return to Interesting Links