HELP - No tunes!!

Anything that buzz, glows or requires electrons.

Moderator: MGEC Committee

HELP - No tunes!!

Postby EVOGRL on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:56 pm

I NEED HELP!!

I bought a 2002 GTA a few months ago but it was missing the screen for the stereo...
It has the hole for the screen up the very top, tape player and controls in the middle and the dvd player down the bottom.

We went into JB today to get a stereo with a screen/dvd/gps, that would fill up the space where the screen use to be... Where the original dvd is down the bottom we were gong to pull that out and just put a pocket in there.. Easy...

Went to put a stereo in the space and the hole isnt deep enough, it hits on the air vent duct so it sticks out about 3cm too far... The guy at JB said all units are the same in depth so we would have the same issue no matter what brand or style we buy.

Has anyone else delt with this issue?? I would really like a stereo in that spot where the hole is but if worst comes to worst ill put a head unit down the bottom and then put some gauges up the top with a custom surround.

Anyone have any ideas???
aka MRSJET
EVOGRL
General Forum User

Re: HELP - No tunes!!

Postby Catford on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:08 am

Welcome to the MGEC forum.

The GTA screen section at the top appears to be sunk far back in the dash than any other CT9A dash configuration. On other models the head unit will be in the middle or bottom depending on the climate control layout, and the top would be the air vents/clock/hazzards. So, naturally there is not enough room for an aftermarket item at the top. You will likely need to find another GTA screen from a wrecker and/or as you suggested throw gauges up the top and head unit at the bottom.
Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Jonson on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:31 pm

It's because you have the MMC sat nav option in the car, well did have the option until someone took it out. You'll have to buy a normal CT9a dash fascia and probably aircon ducting too.
Jonson
General Forum User

Postby EVOGRL on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:34 pm

I forgot to mention that when we got it, the guy must have tried to fit an aftermarket stereo coz the space where the screen was has been cut to fit. So even if i do get a screen, i need to find a facia too!

I think im just going to go see someone about making a custom surround so i can move the stereo down lower, move the heater control around and put some guages in or move the timer up there to fill in some space.

Such an effort! I use to have an import and sold it for a brand new car.... Wasnt happy so bought the evo and its been nothing but a headache!
aka MRSJET
EVOGRL
General Forum User

Postby Racingroo on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:30 am

EVOGRL wrote:Wasnt happy so bought the evo and its been nothing but a headache!

haha.. don't give up though! I went from a late model vanilla focus to an imported evo 6... from the focus which just needed single service once a year.. to an evo 6 which well.. the service items list just keeps "evolving".. but bloody hell do I love the beast! It might take a while.. but once you get it all sorted and are ontop of everything you'll start to enjoy it more.
Racingroo
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Postby EVOGRL on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Yeah I use to have a CA Silvia and LOVED it but hubby made me sell it, lets just say i got attention in it and he didnt like it (haha!)

Sooooo i agreed to sell it and got a Civic with a kit and some minor mods on it... Then a WRX but it was a wagon so i only kept that for about 6months... Onto an Astra that was the devil.. Was still missing the Silvia so hubby said he'd buy me a brand new Honda Accord Euro, sold it after 12months and lost $10k on it... All this within about 3 years mind you... Finally talked him into getting me an Evo, but i'll never tell him i miss my Accord!!
He's finally letting me do some mods that i want done so im sure i'll enjoy it some more once i wind the boost up a bit!
aka MRSJET
EVOGRL
General Forum User

Return to Audio/Electrical