Radio Relocation - Evo 9

Anything that buzz, glows or requires electrons.

Moderator: MGEC Committee

Radio Relocation - Evo 9

Postby headlock on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:17 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm pulling out the factory double din stereo, and installing a single DIN alpine unit. I also have a HKS din meter to go in.

Ideally i'd like to stick the stereo in the bottom din slot, and the gauges up the top.

Problem is, there is only mounting points on the top din slot. The lower din slot is just plastic with a couple large holes in it. The big bracket thing behind the dash doesn't provide mount points for the lower din at all. So i can safely mount either in the top slot, but then nothing in the bottom.

I could fabricate a bit of metal to screw into behind the holes, but that wouldn't be very sturdy - the plastic surround would be the supporting structure.

here are some photos so you can see what i mean

Surely there must be some way of doing this, i see plenty of evo's with 2 din solutions (eg. ralliart gauges in one of the slots) - so there must be *something* i can buy to be able to mount stuff in that bottom din slot.

I think you can order some brackets that attach to the cage and allow you to screw a stereo in the lower din slot. I got the following part numbers from searching around the net (mr572900 mr572901) - however i think those are for the actual little bits that attach to the factory stereo and screw into the dash. Which obviously doesn't help me, since i have nothing to screw em into!

anyone know what i need, or have any ideas?
headlock
General Forum User

Re: Radio Relocation - Evo 9

Postby Sonic on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:36 pm

Can you find a way to mount the stereo and the din guages together - then mount everything into the slot using the standard brackets in the car already - I did this in my 5 for the din pocket and a dvd screen a while back.

Jaime
Name: Jaime
Car: Evolution V
Sonic
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Postby EVOIX4g63 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Mitsubishi sell a special bracket, this is what i used. basic gist of it is its two metal plates that attach stereo to the din gauge meter cluster. Dont have part number any more, but if you can get a hold of the ralliart din gauge cluster instructiosn that will include the part # you need for the bracket/plate.

the bracket/plate had plently of holes perfect size to adjust height and had movement back and forward.

If you get stuck look on Japanparts i think in the parts listing the item underneath the ralliart din gauge is the plate part you can buy, but its $100.

hope that helps.
Black 2006 Evolution IX
Red 2010 Ducati 1198s
White 2009 ZX10R (SOLD)
1967 VC Valiant V8 Regal (SOLD)
EVOIX4g63
General Forum User

Postby headlock on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:46 am

thanks for the reply mate, i'll have a look around and see what i can find. Worst comes to worst i might just pay someone some money to sort it out :)
headlock
General Forum User

Return to Audio/Electrical