battery backup siren wont shutup!

Anything that buzz, glows or requires electrons.

Moderator: MGEC Committee

battery backup siren wont shutup!

Postby gilly on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:01 pm

My little car has been out of action for a few weeks with a carrier bearing problem in the gearbox. So it hasnt been started or driven for a while.

The main battery is pretty much dead now, but the problem is the battery backup siren on the alarm keeps going off. Wehn the main battery is completely dead, the alarm things someone is trying to disconnect the battery. I have tried putting it in valet mode (need to put a jump start on the battery for the alarm remote to function), but then as soon as the charge in the main battery fades off, the battery backup alarm goes off again.

I do not have the key for the siren unfortunately, and I dont want to snip any wiring.

Any other ideas? I could put a new battery in, but it will just go flat again, because I dont know when it will be driven again. I dont actually need the alarm to be armed (theres nothing inside the car, and the car wont run anyway), I just need the battery backup siren to stop going off in the middle of the night, waking up my family and neighbours!
gilly
MGEC Web Team
MGEC Web Team

Re: battery backup siren wont shutup!

Postby AndrewR on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:42 pm

If you don't have the key.... couple of ideas come to mind:

Wrap some cloths around it, and let that battery go flat as well.
Keep the existing battery on 'float' - batteries don't usually like being flat either with a mains charger or a solar one.
AndrewR
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Postby gilly on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:45 am

Yeah I tried wrapping towels around the siren but it didnt muffle the sound by much.

How long would it take the battery backup siren to go dead if the main battery isnt in the car?

It was running for at least 6 hours straight without any noticeable drop in volume with the 'almost dead' main battery still in the car.

Thanks for your suggestions - I actually noticed this problem on my legnum too while I was doing some work on it - I had to remove the battery for better access, but the battery backup siren was still going off, even after using the key to turn it off - quite strange and annoying! At least I have the legnum to drive around in while the alto is off the road.
gilly
MGEC Web Team
MGEC Web Team

Postby RELEAST on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:18 pm

charge the battery up, disarm ur alarm, start the car, disconnect the siren while the car is running and then turn ur car off and lock the doors without the remote and it should be fine

if not and u dont mind changing over ya siren just take it out and drop it in water that will kill it :) and then put a new 1 in it when the car is back in action again
how can it be a girls car if it hasnt got a make up mirror in the drivers side sun visor?

2003 SSI-R S3 Mirage --- Back on the Road Soon :)
RELEAST
General Forum User

Postby gilly on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:11 am

thanks guys - any idea how to disconnect the siren? do i disconnect it at the siren, or at the other end?
gilly
MGEC Web Team
MGEC Web Team

Postby RELEAST on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:07 pm

well if its a factory alarm system there will be a connector under the hood on the wiring loam somewhere or connected to the control unit just above ur B.C.M

if its not a factory system can u tell me what system it is and ill instruct u how to do it from there
how can it be a girls car if it hasnt got a make up mirror in the drivers side sun visor?

2003 SSI-R S3 Mirage --- Back on the Road Soon :)
RELEAST
General Forum User

Postby gilly on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:03 pm

I'll send you a PM - I'd be worried if it was a factory system on a 20 year old 600kg suzuki!
gilly
MGEC Web Team
MGEC Web Team

Return to Audio/Electrical