Autosport Time Attack Round 2 - General Chat

Round 2 of the Autosport South Australian Time Attack Series 2012 at Mallala Motor Sport Park!

Moderators: Catford, MGEC Committee

Re: Autosport Time Attack Round 2 - General Chat

Postby crazyboosta on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks for organisers for putting on another great day, looking forward to see what 2013 brings :D
crazyboosta
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Postby TheSparg on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:12 am

What a great day, thanks to all the people who helped to organise and run a fun day of car thrashing :)
MGEC Vice President
TheSparg
General Forum User

Postby Catford on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Great to see Spargo finally get out onto the track!

I would love to see a single event this time next year like an upscale state titles SA Time Attack (that would be awesome), with an open day earlier in the year for testing and driver development.
Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby billy boy on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm

^loving that idea

more suggestions, the better :) we would love to hear everyone's feedback as how we should proceed for next year. is time attack still the way to go, a combination of TA / hillclimb etc?
MGEC Committee
we are fascinated by that which can destroy us...
billy boy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby TPG on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:50 pm

Competitors, Stewards, Volunteers, Sponsors, Spectators, Committee;

Thank you to you all once again for another great round of the Autosport Time Attack. There has been a lot of discussion and feedback regarding the lack of numbers for the 2012 series. The MGEC Committee is appreciative of this and will be taking it all onboard. We will be covering this more in the coming weeks.

Right now though, the results for Time Attack Round 2 are up here: viewtopic.php?f=137&t=14507

Congratulations to:
Brad Kirkwood for not only smashing his PB - a great achievement in itself - but planting himself in 1st Place in Open Class.
Andrew Tessari for taking out top honours in Club Class, in what was the closest margin of all 3 Classes. That makes it back to back wins in Club Class for Andrew in 2012.
Anthony Gray who consistently improved throughout the day, fending off charges by what probably seemed like half the MGEC Committee and claimed the Street Class win.

All three winners recieved vouchers kindly donated by the major sponsor for Time Attack 2012 - Autosport. I doubt they'll have a problem finding something they need/want - Autosport have a great range of Motorsport items.

Again well done to the Class Winners, however there was more to see on the day. The final Shootout gave competitors once last final lap to lay down a PB. Results were calculated by the % improvement on competitors fastest lap during the normal competition. Some people might think that this format is prone to 'sand bagging' your times.....once the red mist decends the only thing on everyones mind is making that one lap count!

It came down to a great 2 person shootout between Open Class competitors Brad Kirkwood and Mark Jantke. After a lot of track time no new PB's were set during the Shootout, but the final times were very quick and very close. Brad layed down a time of 1:14.792, or in other words 98.36% of his time during normal competition.....but that wasn't enough to hold off Mark Jantke whose shootout time of 1:14.652 (99.69% of his best time of the day) secured him the Shootout Win and $250 Cash Prize.

With a small field, there was still plenty to see
- Brad's PB
- Mark's debut of the wiiide GTR
- Such a close margin between Andrew Tessari and Shane Carroll in Club Class
- a good showing of GSR / EVO Club committee in Street Class

Unfortunately there was a fair rate of attrition this round with a few cars succumbing to mechanical stress or electrical issues. The two Honda's of Mark and Michael Lewis were having a great battle in Club Class, setting times within 0.1 of a second of each other. The battle was sure to continue however both cars were sadly forced to retire. Bucking the trend of 'turbo 4WD' cars, the two Honda's take different routes to making power, one N/A the other Turbo. However both follow a simple approach - minimum weight, maximum grip. All this leads to huge excitement out on the track, in particular the Blue Civic of Michael Lewis was one of the most talked about cars after Round 1. This and efforts in Round 2 earned Michael the special trophy of "Crowd Pleaser".

Huge thanks to the volunteers and stewards for the day, everyones attitude and passion for Motorsport helps events like this go off without a hitch. A special thanks to MGEC Members Andy and Lucas for their first-time roles as flaggies. If you're sick of spectating from the 'hill or the stands, ask these guys what it was like to be that close to the action and part of the event. I know everyone wants to be on the track, but without the volunteers the events simple can't run. Another shout out to Kate for the pictures of the event. It is great to be out there racing, to have some pics vids of it afterwards is just as exciting and on behalf of competitors - thank you.

That is probably enough for now, once more MGEC really does appreciate everyones support for Time Attack in 2012.

Stay tuned for the 2012 Series Results and stay tuned for 2013!

Best Regards,
Evan
MGEC Committee

TPG
General Forum User

Postby Catford on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:38 am

Great write up!
Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby crazyboosta on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:25 am

I would still like to see a 2 or 3 round series, but maybe have rules more closely based on WTAC. I think with all the hype surrounding WTAC we just need to try and tap into that a bit more, we all know there are some serious cars being built in this state for WTAC so surely we can entice them to come out and use event as practice/testing for WTAC as well as trying to claim the state title. I also think it needs to be publicised more, I didn't hear the ads on fresh but obviously this was a good step in the right direction trying to get to the masses for spectators but maybe need to hit up some workshops/shops to display more posters and get some of their customers to enter as competitors?!?! Maybe even hand out flyers at other sprint meets to try and entice a new line of entrants!?!? e-mail out entry forms or links to entry forms to all past and present competitors?!?! Maybe even contact other clubs and see if they can do a mail out to their members promoting event and entries. I also think event needs to be promoted as Time Attack event on Mallala website, just looking at calender on website it says EVO club making it look more like its just a club day than a state based event, maybe even setup a website dedicated to Time Attack event, I have no experience in promoting events so not sure if any of these ideas are good or not but I think if the format of a multi round series has worked well since 09 then there is no reason for it not to work in the future, just need to get competitor numbers up which in turn will bring more spectators which will make for a bigger atmosphere. Just my thoughts :)
crazyboosta
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Postby ISC on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:54 pm

Agree with the above ideas to push more advertising. If done correctly there would def be 40 entrants per round, doesnt even need to cost money. Just use cheap of free advertising like social media, connect with more car clubs, flyers etc.

Might also be an idea to increase track time and run the event like wtac were 5-10 cars go out in one session for approx 20 minutes and try to pull there best time. Cars obviously need to be grouped with similar lap times.
ISC
General Forum User

Previous

Return to Autosport Time Attack Round 2 October 1st 2012