Autosport Time Attack Round 1 - General Chat

Round 1 of the Autosport South Australian Time Attack Series 2012 at Mallala Motor Sport Park!

Moderators: Catford, MGEC Committee

Autosport Time Attack Round 1 - General Chat

Postby TPG on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Here is the place to have general discussion on MGEC Time Attack Round 1 Monday 11th June 2012.

Entry forms / Supp Regs are now available.

Any enquiries can be forwarded to entries@gsr-evo-club.net
MGEC Committee

TPG
General Forum User

Re: Autosport Time Attack Round 1 - General Chat

Postby squishedkitty on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:02 pm

It is almost time for the Supp Regs and Entry forms to be released...who's excited?? I wonder what will be in store for all the entrants in the coming rounds *wink wink* keep your eyes on the Time Attack section for more news and updates to come!!
MGEC Vice President

*~Kathleen~*

Evo IX v2 - now brought to you with 250kW at the wheels
squishedkitty
General Forum User

Postby squishedkitty on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Alright everyone, the draft Supp Regs and Entry Form are available to download on viewtopic.php?f=136&t=14329

Please familiarise yourself with these documents, and should you have any questions in relation to this please do not hesitate in sending an email through to entries@gsr-evo-club.net

Thanks everybody for your attention!!
MGEC Vice President

*~Kathleen~*

squishedkitty
General Forum User

Postby Catford on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:39 am

I am loving the new regulations and series format! Entry form printed! :D
Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby billy boy on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:42 am

:)

should be a cracking series!!
MGEC Committee
we are fascinated by that which can destroy us...
billy boy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Team2j evo on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Catford wrote:I am loving the new regulations and series format! Entry form printed! :D

+1! :D
"Carbon Kid" :D
Team2j evo
General Forum User

Postby squishedkitty on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Woohoo! Don't forget to get those entry forms to us, don't just print them off and forget (I may have done this once before :P)

Might have to get a countdown happening for Time Attack!!
MGEC Vice President

*~Kathleen~*

squishedkitty
General Forum User

Postby hendo on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:44 pm

looks like it will be great, just wish i had a car at the moment
hendo
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Sleeper_GSR on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:07 pm

form still has draft on it.

is it ok to send in application as is or wait?
Sleeper_GSR
General Forum User

Postby Catford on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:22 pm

I filled in the draft one - keen :)
Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member

Fire extinguishers

Postby AndrewR on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Just a reminder regarding fire extinguishers:

1. This is a SPEED EVENT and so a fire extinguisher IS required. There have been some changes with this requirement for a RACE MEETING.
2. There was a change to the requirements at the beginning of the year in that AS1841 compliant extinguishers (which it SHOULD be) need to be serviced/tested every 3 years. If your extinguisher is older than this you should either replace it or get it serviced.
Each AS1841 standard fire extinguisher shall be serviced every three years. If the extinguisher is compliant
with another acceptable standard, it shall be serviced every two years. This servicing shall be undertaken in
accordance with the procedures laid out by the manufacturer and/or the relevant standard (eg, AS1851 for
AS1841 extinguishers) and shall include a hydrostatic pressure test of the extinguisher body.

Extinguisher service records must be made available to a scrutineer on demand. For an AS1841 fire
extinguisher, an AS1851 service tag stamped by an authorised person/organisation is sufficient for this
purpose.

http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/10_gen ... 2012-2.pdf
AndrewR
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Postby squishedkitty on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:41 pm

Hey Andrew, thanks for the heads up!!
MGEC Vice President

*~Kathleen~*

squishedkitty
General Forum User

Postby squishedkitty on Tue May 01, 2012 10:38 am

Not too long to go now - hope everyone is getting excited!!
MGEC Vice President

*~Kathleen~*

squishedkitty
General Forum User

Postby TPG on Thu May 03, 2012 10:50 am

First off the rank for SA Motorsport Tyres entry in the Tuner Series 2012, Robert Catford makes a welcome comeback to club racing since his first time attack round appearance of 2011 in head turning fashion. Robbie successfully steered his 1988 Mitsubishi VR4 into the 1:20s in trying conditions, which many thought improbable for such a platform and in full club class specification. When this entry was filed for round 1 2012, we drew a closer interest and needed to find out more.

Fact is, this VR4 is not that highly modified under the hood as Robbie expanded; “Old men and old cars go hand in hand, and this is why the galant 4WD turbo appealed to me some 3 years ago when the opportunity rose to purchase from my nephew who had it stored away in a northern country barn caked in bull dust. Being imported from Japan in 2006, the VR4 was unmodified, unmolested, and had very limited kilometres. A blank canvas for a bit of fast fun and blood pumping adrenaline to scare some of the newest technologies. I must admit we are a bit off the pace when it comes to horsepower, but the true development has been focused on the driveline strength in anticipation for increased power once I get more seat time. I have worked closely with Mike Dale Automotive on this build who has dialled in a very driver rewarding differential set up, consisting of front and rear Kaaz LSDs and Evolution RS 4 bolt rear end. The driver feedback is absolutely sensational and brings back the enjoyment of application by driver – none of that AYC, ACD, ESC that those modern platforms possess. The trend doesn’t stop in the driveline; this VR4 boasts EVO 3 brakes, custom braided lines, project mu pads all round and an aftermarket coilover set up, so we can use every ounce of performance the original 2 litre 4G63 can pump out.”

“Mallala is a hard circuit for any club class car with the bare essentials for the discipline and certainly illuminates problem areas for any developing vehicle. We saw the demise of the gear set in our first outing and also noted slight radiator inefficiencies. Subsequently, VR4 had an extended omit from my 2011 club racing campaign, and in off season, mad scientist Mike Dale addressed the gear set with more desirable ratios and a thicker aftermarket EVO 3 radiator core. The gear set is pretty trick and complements the driveline allowing full use and abuse of the existing horsepower. I am very excited to be back into the time attack and hillclimb series with the amended inadequacies, and the new club class regulations play right into the direction of the build and driver deliverance. Last year’s shakedown was my first track day since 2007 and absolutely loved it. I know there is more in it, so we set out to dominate the class with a new set of Hankook Z221s from SA Motorsport Tyres, and driver aids such as harness set and Evo 9 Recaros, and if time permits a half cage to complete the package. This vehicle is still a roadie, and interior still remains to keep it compliant for the AWD Turbo Challenge series. The addition of the seats is sure keep me in one spot, those 1987 style galant seats and OEM seat belt are a little concerning – remember safety first!”

The Hankook competition tyre range has been very successful in time attack racing since they became very active in their marketing during 2010 and 2011 in Australia. Their Ventus-RS3 UTGQ 140 spec high performance street tyre and the Z221 semi-slick tyre have dominated respective classes in this discipline. Robbie takes full advantage of SA Motorsport Tyres on track support and advice when it comes to application and maintenance of race tyres for each event. “I was very impressed with the braking grip and stability of the Hankook Z221 215x45R17 semi-slicks we ran at this event last year, and will be my desired choice for the 2012 season. We are currently devising a plan for a wider tread package that should see us maximise grip and have superior heat management” Robbie suggested.

Driveline and tyre investment appear to be covered on this VR4, but more specifically, we need to know more about the horsepower these first generation DOHC 4G63’s can produce. Avoiding the confrontational questions thus far, Robbie finally divulged the details of the engine; “No secrets on the horsepower, a ‘limiting’ 206kw at the wheels. You see it is limited because of investment into other areas of the VR4’s development. Between Mike Dale Automotive and I, we are confident the ECMLink software and E85 custom tuning holds a sound performance and safety relationship to ensure engine reliability. However, in the case the inevitable foresees, I have been very proactive on saving empty beer cans for recycling, in the reality that the more you drink the more engine modifications your can afford! One day I will get the scary engine I deserve! For the interim, Mike Dale Automotive has produced a best result for the hardware I had available, and to be honest, it is a decent amount for the time being. Starting with the turbo an Evo 3 big 16G item with GTpumps high flow manifold, 910cc Siemens injectors, Kelford 264 intake, BC 272 exhaust cam shafts with resulting boost all controlled with a Greddy Profec B at 19psi gives this VR4 a nice starting plate for what is approximately a 1,450kg platform.”

With all things considered a decrease in Robbie’s personal best time will see him with a prime opportunity to contest the new club class for 2012, however realistic that other teams are more in tune with their track set-ups around the ratchet time of 1:18.00 for the class, but we all want to see this VR4 and Robbie keep them honest during the Tuner Series 2012.

MGEC Committee

TPG
General Forum User

Postby TPG on Thu May 03, 2012 11:00 am

Don't believe forum gossip,
Don't believe your best mate,
Don't believe your brothers, girlfriends, uncles, son who runs a Mitsubishi Eclipse with a MoTec System Exhaust......

This event IS going ahead!!

Get your entries in ASAP otherwise your Tuner House won't be in with a chance!
MGEC Committee

TPG
General Forum User

Next

Return to Autosport Time Attack Round 1 June 11th 2012