MGEC Time Attack Round 1 - General Chat

Round 1 of the MGEC South Australian Time Attack Series 2012 at Mallala Motor Sport Park!

Moderators: Catford, MGEC Committee

Re: MGEC Time Attack Round 1 - General Chat

Postby EVO85 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Seems a little odd to me why there were so few entries. :? Even if the rule changes were deemed to be bad, I'm still a little perplexed. I guess a $2 trophy is more important to some than actually going out there to improve your times, or more importantly, supporting your club! Obviously from an economic standpoint, it needs to be feasible, so cancelling is totally understandable. Unfortunately there is disappointment for some who spent a large amount of time and money in the off season specifically preparing for this event. This has pretty much cemented my decision about competing at Wakefield Park (EvoNats) - gotta get my racing fix somewhere!
gotachicky wrote:... should have bought a red one they always go faster :D
EVO85
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Postby squishedkitty on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Sonic wrote:Thats a bit dissappointing.......Is Clem Ok not to get any Cash??? Or is that money still going to have to be paid??

Jaime

Jamie, to answer your question, we were able to speak with Clem about our options and he was willing for us to cancel Round 1 at no cost as long as we have agreed to run Round 2 and 3. We have also been required to pay a deposit for each of these rounds.

sleezy wrote:this is extremely dissapointing to hear. especially since people have been saying the changes to the rules will keep people away for a long time now . i hope in the future MGEC will actuall listen to what their customers want from a track day to avoid this situation again.

i would like to be put on the entry list for round 2 please.

thank you.

Sleazy - Yes, it has been very disappointing that we were required to cancel Round 1, however we will still be running Round 2 and 3 and we would love for your support in these rounds. Rule changes happen from time to time, and if you feel that there is changes that can be implemented that would improve the number of entrants or the overall competitiveness of the Time Attack series please come along to the members meeting that we will be holding on March 28th 2012 at The Directors Hotel or alternatively if you are unable to attend this, please feel free to send an email through to mgec@gsr-evo-club.net and we can consider your ideas at this meeting.

All viewpoints are great for us to be able to put on an event to be able to create an event that is fair and equitable for all entrants however with every set of rules there is always going to be people who it may benefit more than others.

EVO85 wrote:Seems a little odd to me why there were so few entries. :? Even if the rule changes were deemed to be bad, I'm still a little perplexed. I guess a $2 trophy is more important to some than actually going out there to improve your times, or more importantly, supporting your club! Obviously from an economic standpoint, it needs to be feasible, so cancelling is totally understandable. Unfortunately there is disappointment for some who spent a large amount of time and money in the off season specifically preparing for this event. This has pretty much cemented my decision about competing at Wakefield Park (EvoNats) - gotta get my racing fix somewhere!

Brad, thank you for being so understanding about the situation! It does seem odd, but maybe people spent too much at Christmas :twisted: I for one am really looking forward to seeing your car out on the track and some huge improvements on your lap times!!
MGEC Vice President

*~Kathleen~*

Evo IX v2 - now brought to you with 250kW at the wheels
squishedkitty
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Sonic on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Kathleen,

Awesome news that Clem was willing to negotiate like that......quite often its a case of too bad so sad!!!

Im kind of amazed that people would pull out over rule changes......surely every sport in the world goes through rule changes, people (teams) adapt to them - work out how to use them to their advantage and get on with it......not have a sookie la la, grab their bat and ball and go home!

I was looking forward to getting out there and snapping some shots!!

Jaime
Name: Jaime
Car: Evolution V
Sonic
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Postby squishedkitty on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Hehe I always think of F1 whenever someone blames it on rule changes - you don't see McLaren pull out when something changes, they just change their cars and get on with it because they want to be involved in racing not the other stuff.
MGEC Vice President

*~Kathleen~*

Evo IX v2 - now brought to you with 250kW at the wheels
squishedkitty
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby ISC on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:52 am

Really needed to be advertised more, I know last year there was posts put up on nissansilvia.com and skylinesaustralia.com in the events section along with other forums but they didn't seem to be there for this round. Perhaps even a few flyers at the sponsors workshops etc? IPRA forums would also be a good one.
ISC
General Forum User

Postby billy boy on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:44 am

couldn't agree more! this has now given us time to re-group and really push for successful two rounds of TA :)
MGEC Committee
we are fascinated by that which can destroy us...
billy boy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Racingroo on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Get some stuff posted up on evolutionoz.net too :)
Racingroo
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Postby spiller on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:00 pm

ISC wrote:Really needed to be advertised more, I know last year there was posts put up on nissansilvia.com and skylinesaustralia.com in the events section along with other forums but they didn't seem to be there for this round. Perhaps even a few flyers at the sponsors workshops etc? IPRA forums would also be a good one.

I agree with this too. I had been searching on google for info on SA time attack since Dec last yr and not until I signed up here was I able to find any info. The event was practically unknown to non MGEC members (in an internet sense anyway).

Looking forward to R2 and hopefully I will be able to enter
spiller
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member

Postby 2domn8 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:44 pm

Where are these rule changes, im one of those people who doesnt read manuals i need an explanation of what i can and cant do :)
2domn8
General Forum User

Postby 2domn8 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Also since we are not Vodafone McLaren and we dont have a billion dollar budget, for most of us this is just a leisure sport not a professional racing outfit, so we cant just change our cars at a whim considering that my car for example is a work in progress, there is something new or something added or removed from it for every round with no practice in between. Last year i just managed to do the time attack series albeit plagued with constant problems and in the off season i have added and removed quite a lot of stuff of the car, and if all of a sudden it doesnt fit the rules well thats me out.
2domn8
General Forum User

Postby billy boy on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:45 pm

best way forward is to come along to the meeting on the 28 march at the directors hotel on gouger street for a chat about all things TA - regs etc. these events are for you guys, so any input, suggestions and a better way forward will only help to strengthen these events :) if you can't make it, feel free to drop us an email mgec@gsr-evo-club.net :)
MGEC Committee
we are fascinated by that which can destroy us...
billy boy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby Sleeper_GSR on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:43 pm

hope the club can recover and get back up for round 2.
Sleeper_GSR
General Forum User

Postby Team2j evo on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:11 am

squishedkitty wrote:Hehe I always think of F1 whenever someone blames it on rule changes - you don't see McLaren pull out when something changes, they just change their cars and get on with it because they want to be involved in racing not the other stuff.

problem with this is McLaren don't have other options on where to race...

really hope the club can re-group and make rounds 2 and 3 work..
Is there an option for next weekend of not doing an actual Time Attack event, but maybe doing a closed track private day?? No timing, no classes, .. no BS.. just rock up and have some fun cutting some laps??
"Carbon Kid" :D
Team2j evo
General Forum User

Postby ISC on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 am

As above, whats Mallala planning to do now on that Monday?
ISC
General Forum User

Postby RS EVO on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:41 am

ISC wrote:As above, whats Mallala planning to do now on that Monday?

As a club we no longer have the track booked so if individuals wanted to book it you will need to get in touch with Clem.
MGEC Committee
RS EVO
General Forum User

Previous

Return to MGEC Time Attack Round 1 March 12th 2012 - Cancelled