Phillcom Rally Time Attack - General Chat

Time Attack spectacular at Mallala Motor Sport Park - First ever in SA!

Moderator: MGEC Committee

Phillcom Rally Time Attack - General Chat

Postby Catford on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:54 pm

Here is the place to have general discussion on the Phillcom Rally Time Attack 7th September 2008!

Please also check out the FAQ and Information section for further answers!
Catford
Committee Member
Committee Member
 
Posts: 12652
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:30 am
Location: Upper North

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby benno11 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:02 pm

How much "track time" are you expecting each person to get? From the looks of it, Each person will have only had roughly 20 minutes on the track (true track time. which you guys have said would roughly b 4 "hot laps") before 1:00pm.. Is this the case? Also.. For what i can gather after lunch each group will get another 2 sessions which is 8 more "hot laps" so that is 12 hot laps all up... correct guys?

Also bit more a noisey question then anything.. if its $190 a go.. What are all these sponsors doing?
Last edited by benno11 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benno11
General Forum User
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:30 am
Location: adelaide

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby FunkyR on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:43 pm

Is there a buy on the day license option available? Otherwise it looks like we need to arrange the cams l2s license before hand.
User avatar
FunkyR
General Forum User
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:30 am
Location: SA

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby hendo on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:23 pm

benno11 wrote:How much "track time" are you expecting each person to get? From the looks of it, Each person will have only had roughly 20 minutes on the track (true track time. which you guys have said would roughly b 4 "hot laps") before 1:00pm.. Is this the case? Also.. For what i can gather after lunch each group will get another 2 sessions which is 8 more "hot laps" so that is 12 hot laps all up... correct guys?

Also bit more a noisey question then anything.. if its $190 a go.. What are all these sponsors doing?


Hay mate sponsorship is paying for the things like the timing systems the track the fees and so on..it it never cheap to run things like this and its not geting any cheaper.
User avatar
hendo
Committee Member
Committee Member
 
Posts: 2580
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:30 am
Location: Mt Pleasant South Australia

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby benno11 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:25 pm

hendo wrote:
benno11 wrote:How much "track time" are you expecting each person to get? From the looks of it, Each person will have only had roughly 20 minutes on the track (true track time. which you guys have said would roughly b 4 "hot laps") before 1:00pm.. Is this the case? Also.. For what i can gather after lunch each group will get another 2 sessions which is 8 more "hot laps" so that is 12 hot laps all up... correct guys?

Also bit more a noisey question then anything.. if its $190 a go.. What are all these sponsors doing?


Hay mate sponsorship is paying for the things like the timing systems the track the fees and so on..it it never cheap to run things like this and its not geting any cheaper.



What about the track time?
benno11
General Forum User
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:30 am
Location: adelaide

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby EVOIX4g63 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:01 pm

benno11 wrote:
hendo wrote:
benno11 wrote:How much "track time" are you expecting each person to get? From the looks of it, Each person will have only had roughly 20 minutes on the track (true track time. which you guys have said would roughly b 4 "hot laps") before 1:00pm.. Is this the case? Also.. For what i can gather after lunch each group will get another 2 sessions which is 8 more "hot laps" so that is 12 hot laps all up... correct guys?

Also bit more a noisey question then anything.. if its $190 a go.. What are all these sponsors doing?


Hay mate sponsorship is paying for the things like the timing systems the track the fees and so on..it it never cheap to run things like this and its not geting any cheaper.



What about the track time?


Hi Brenton, how are you?

I hope you are entering you looked like you were going pretty quick on the last MGEC track day so it will be good to have you representing the MrBishi contingent.

A few of us both club and committee members are foregoing the opportunity to compete to make sure this event runs as smooth as possible to allow for maximum track time for all involved.

This sort of event is very expensive to run and organise, so i am sure most can appreciate the need for a $200 entry fee.

I think its safe to say you will get around 20 timed hot laps, plus more if you qualify in the top 5.

This event is not centred around doing a large number of laps, but instead being timed and comparing your time against other drivers times in a competitive manner, with trophies for each respective class.

Further this event is limited to 30 entries to ensure adequate track time for entrants to attain a competitive time, which also adds to the entry costs.

Considering the type of event this is and the service that will be provided on the day the amount of timed hot laps is actually quite alot.

This can be made clear by comparing this event to say a Hill Climb like Collingrove or Legend Of The Lakes where the entry fee is quite large, but the track time is very little.

A rough price guide for Collingrove and Legend of the Lakes is as follows:
Legend of the Lakes is $150 for 6 runs over 2 days = 6mins of track time
Colingrove is $90 for 4 runs = 2mins track time

Now Compare to Phillcom Rally Time Attack:
Phillcom Rally Time Attack is $190 for 20 runs = 30mins track time

Timed events such as these are like this because of the logistics behind the timing and the safe co-ordinated running of the event, so in terms of track time to entry fee the Phillcom Rally Time Attack will be very good value for money.

Kind Regards Chris Saunders
Club Secretary.
Image
Black 2006 Evolution IX
Red 2010 Ducati 1198s
White 2009 ZX10R (SOLD)
1967 VC Valiant V8 Regal (SOLD)
User avatar
EVOIX4g63
General Forum User
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:30 am
Location: adelaide

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby benno11 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:58 am

EVOIX4g63 wrote:
benno11 wrote:How much "track time" are you expecting each person to get? From the looks of it, Each person will have only had roughly 20 minutes on the track (true track time. which you guys have said would roughly b 4 "hot laps") before 1:00pm.. Is this the case? Also.. For what i can gather after lunch each group will get another 2 sessions which is 8 more "hot laps" so that is 12 hot laps all up... correct guys?

Also bit more a noisey question then anything.. if its $190 a go.. What are all these sponsors doing?


Hay mate sponsorship is paying for the things like the timing systems the track the fees and so on..it it never cheap to run things like this and its not geting any cheaper.



What about the track time?[/quote]

Hi Brenton, how are you?

I hope you are entering you looked like you were going pretty quick on the last MGEC track day so it will be good to have you representing the MrBishi contingent.

A few of us both club and committee members are foregoing the opportunity to compete to make sure this event runs as smooth as possible to allow for maximum track time for all involved.

This sort of event is very expensive to run and organise, so i am sure most can appreciate the need for a $200 entry fee.

I think its safe to say you will get around 20 timed hot laps, plus more if you qualify in the top 5.

This event is not centred around doing a large number of laps, but instead being timed and comparing your time against other drivers times in a competitive manner, with trophies for each respective class.

Further this event is limited to 30 entries to ensure adequate track time for entrants to attain a competitive time, which also adds to the entry costs.

Considering the type of event this is and the service that will be provided on the day the amount of timed hot laps is actually quite alot.

This can be made clear by comparing this event to say a Hill Climb like Collingrove or Legend Of The Lakes where the entry fee is quite large, but the track time is very little.

A rough price guide for Collingrove and Legend of the Lakes is as follows:
Legend of the Lakes is $150 for 6 runs over 2 days = 6mins of track time
Colingrove is $90 for 4 runs = 2mins track time

Now Compare to Phillcom Rally Time Attack:
Phillcom Rally Time Attack is $190 for 20 runs = 30mins track time

Timed events such as these are like this because of the logistics behind the timing and the safe co-ordinated running of the event, so in terms of track time to entry fee the Phillcom Rally Time Attack will be very good value for money.

Kind Regards Chris Saunders
Club Secretary.[/quote]

Gday mate.. Yeah im pretty good.. Hope you sold your rims.. although they do like very nive on the black, so you shoulda kept em! :)
Yeah i totally understand all of the above and appreciate what you guys have tried to do hear.. Obviously you guys know that ive been waiting for this to come up and pressuring you guys to get something out about it... But you can probably tell that i am a little dissappointed in track time.. All of the above other events you mentioned arent at mallala and really i dont think can be compared in financial vs track time matters... although as you have stated with collingrove all day for 5 mintues of fun.. And there being the ONLY reason i dont go up there.
Yeah im actually really disspointed and probably not going to enter actually becasue i just dont think the track time is enough for me.. I know you guys are trying to get a bit of competitiveness into this and its for the MGEC cup but this alos brings me to my next main issue too... Safety... With everyone tryng to beat their last time, or the person in front of them.. and mainly on cold tyres there will be alot of spins and offs... which i reckon will halve the number of hot laps for everyone because if one person goes iff during anothers hot lap it will stuff it up...
Im certainly not against what you guys have done BUt can i make a few of my suggestions/ideas?? (well im going to anyway)
1. Dont have a lunch break! It takes an hour of track time.. We are paying the $6500 for the day so use the day to the second! thats another track session for all!!
2. Dont have the practise session... This is all well and good but it does take up another hour.. i get that you wanna put fast cars together and slow.. but when you only doning one hot lap and you get a 15 second hand start on each other.. in one lap youd have to be very fast..very fast probably like Steve knight chasing down my dad! :)
3. And yes i know you guys are doing this for a competitveness thingo... BUT IF i do decide to go i think its unfair for me to pay $190 and not be in the top 5 shoots half an hour then somebody else..?? Why not just have naother session instead and whoever does the quickest, or best, or whatever lap you guys are going to judge the winner on be from over the day.. not just one session??
As ive said before and will say again this is not an attack on any of you guys.. so please dont take it that way.. i appreciate you guys stepping up and taking this on, and sitting this up would be a time consuming and one big headache, and then to get some smart arse come on here and put you down wouldnt go down well with me.. so im just stating that thats not what im trying to do.
Just an MGEC member thats dissappointed and was totally looking forward to the event.
benno11
General Forum User
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:30 am
Location: adelaide

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby AndrewR on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:00 pm

In order to not have the break, you are going to need a lot more people running it, including:

A Second Ambulance crew and a second Fire/Recovery Crew
These crews have to be on standby for almost immediate deployment if required (as in sitting in the vehicle, ready to roll).

Possibly an extra Scrutineer or two (one has to be available for the entire race meeting)
More Timing, Flag, Pin lane and Event command crew as well so that all of these people can have a decent break.

Practice is also going to be important, as there will be a mix of people who have been on this track before, and those who have not. Also gives everyone a chance to check that everything is right with their car before laps start to count.
Unfortunately, the problem with people going off the ruining your lap, that's racing. The only way to avoid it would be to have ONE car on the circuit at a time. There is a compromise between the number of cars on the track and the number of laps each competitor receives - More cars on the track = More Risk and also more risk of lap being 'spoilt ' by traffic, but more laps for a competitor...

So really, what you are paying for in this event is the opportunity to have more clear track around you....

Unfortunately, these events ARE expensive to put on - and are also a big financial risk for the club
User avatar
AndrewR
MGEC Current Member
MGEC Current Member
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: Salisbury SA

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby benno11 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:17 pm

AndrewR wrote:In order to not have the break, you are going to need a lot more people running it, including:

A Second Ambulance crew and a second Fire/Recovery Crew
These crews have to be on standby for almost immediate deployment if required (as in sitting in the vehicle, ready to roll).

Possibly an extra Scrutineer or two (one has to be available for the entire race meeting)
More Timing, Flag, Pin lane and Event command crew as well so that all of these people can have a decent break.

Practice is also going to be important, as there will be a mix of people who have been on this track before, and those who have not. Also gives everyone a chance to check that everything is right with their car before laps start to count.
Unfortunately, the problem with people going off the ruining your lap, that's racing. The only way to avoid it would be to have ONE car on the circuit at a time. There is a compromise between the number of cars on the track and the number of laps each competitor receives - More cars on the track = More Risk and also more risk of lap being 'spoilt ' by traffic, but more laps for a competitor...

So really, what you are paying for in this event is the opportunity to have more clear track around you....

Unfortunately, these events ARE expensive to put on - and are also a big financial risk for the club


Andrew,
Not having a lunch break has been done many times before.

Yes there will be a mix of people... 95% of the people entering will be known in some form to the club and the committee.. Who should have a "fairly damn good idea" of how fast people can go.. and as stated before with a 15 second gap between people even the fastest out there will not be able to catch the slowest in one actual lap, and therefore why practise is a waste of time

Im quite certain that just for my own personal lap times.. i wouldnt have to tell you guys what i go around in.. the committee members (chris and catford etc) would have a pretty good idea of my speed and times, and therefore of all entering. Also you have to write down on the entry sheet your rough time so should be able to get idea for groups from there.

Yes its expensive as been stated.. im not worried bout the money.. ill pay $500 if i was getting good track time. Yes they are a financial risk to the club.. if thats the case and the club is worried about losing money.. simple.. dont do it or "hook" up with another club to run one like last time.

Again guys/girls.. these are my opinions but as you can tell i feel pretty strongly about this track day as i was super pumped for it! Chris... I think its great that some of you guys are giving up the chance to be apart just to support the club and make the day what it should be and will be for the entrants.
benno11
General Forum User
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:30 am
Location: adelaide

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby EVOIX4g63 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:07 pm

benno11 wrote:
AndrewR wrote:In order to not have the break, you are going to need a lot more people running it, including:

A Second Ambulance crew and a second Fire/Recovery Crew
These crews have to be on standby for almost immediate deployment if required (as in sitting in the vehicle, ready to roll).

Possibly an extra Scrutineer or two (one has to be available for the entire race meeting)
More Timing, Flag, Pin lane and Event command crew as well so that all of these people can have a decent break.

Practice is also going to be important, as there will be a mix of people who have been on this track before, and those who have not. Also gives everyone a chance to check that everything is right with their car before laps start to count.
Unfortunately, the problem with people going off the ruining your lap, that's racing. The only way to avoid it would be to have ONE car on the circuit at a time. There is a compromise between the number of cars on the track and the number of laps each competitor receives - More cars on the track = More Risk and also more risk of lap being 'spoilt ' by traffic, but more laps for a competitor...

So really, what you are paying for in this event is the opportunity to have more clear track around you....

Unfortunately, these events ARE expensive to put on - and are also a big financial risk for the club


Andrew,
Not having a lunch break has been done many times before.

Yes there will be a mix of people... 95% of the people entering will be known in some form to the club and the committee.. Who should have a "fairly damn good idea" of how fast people can go.. and as stated before with a 15 second gap between people even the fastest out there will not be able to catch the slowest in one actual lap, and therefore why practise is a waste of time

Im quite certain that just for my own personal lap times.. i wouldnt have to tell you guys what i go around in.. the committee members (chris and catford etc) would have a pretty good idea of my speed and times, and therefore of all entering. Also you have to write down on the entry sheet your rough time so should be able to get idea for groups from there.

Yes its expensive as been stated.. im not worried bout the money.. ill pay $500 if i was getting good track time. Yes they are a financial risk to the club.. if thats the case and the club is worried about losing money.. simple.. dont do it or "hook" up with another club to run one like last time.

Again guys/girls.. these are my opinions but as you can tell i feel pretty strongly about this track day as i was super pumped for it! Chris... I think its great that some of you guys are giving up the chance to be apart just to support the club and make the day what it should be and will be for the entrants.



Brenton although we may know your lap time we don't know the rest of the fields lap times.

The event will adhere to the format which is already in the supp regs.

The officials need a break and that is that i would say.

There has to be practice sessions (all of which will still be timed) to help familiarise entrants with the format and get the entrants used to going around in the correct way designated by the event organisers.

Again i will stress the point that this is a "competition" centred Time Attack day. This means that the format will be in the form of timed hotlaps

If you are worried about getting a full day out on the track to do as many laps as you wish and to practice etc you should try doing a private practice day. If this is want you want out of a track day get in contact with me and i will be more than happy to let you know next time i am going out on a private practice day.

Now failing this, without sounding rude and with all due respects perhaps this type of event is not for you..?

Regards Chris Saunders
Image
Black 2006 Evolution IX
Red 2010 Ducati 1198s
White 2009 ZX10R (SOLD)
1967 VC Valiant V8 Regal (SOLD)
User avatar
EVOIX4g63
General Forum User
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:30 am
Location: adelaide

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby benno11 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:05 pm

Hey Chris,
Yeah i totally agree with you so dont think you being rude at all mate. Im just wanting to get it all sorted and out there so I and others know what the actual go is and why things are setup the way that they are.

Im always keen to go out to mallala so if you know of any private practise days coming up im very keen so PM me for sure.

In terms of this event, it maybe a bit too competive for me (which im totally pissed about because i was sooo pumped for it), but then again its only as competitive as one makes it.
benno11
General Forum User
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:30 am
Location: adelaide

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby EVOIX4g63 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:42 pm

benno11 wrote:Hey Chris,
Yeah i totally agree with you so dont think you being rude at all mate. Im just wanting to get it all sorted and out there so I and others know what the actual go is and why things are setup the way that they are.

Im always keen to go out to mallala so if you know of any private practise days coming up im very keen so PM me for sure.

In terms of this event, it maybe a bit too competive for me (which im totally pissed about because i was sooo pumped for it), but then again its only as competitive as one makes it.


Well said nothing beats beating your own time

I hope everything is all cleared up.

I can't wait
Image
Black 2006 Evolution IX
Red 2010 Ducati 1198s
White 2009 ZX10R (SOLD)
1967 VC Valiant V8 Regal (SOLD)
User avatar
EVOIX4g63
General Forum User
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:30 am
Location: adelaide

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby BuLLiTT on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:44 pm

Hey guys,

Came over from the link you posted on nissansilvia, and just have a few quick questions, as I am very keen to attend this event [was going to the drift on the 6th but this is more my style ;P].
Is this event open to beginners, or are you only looking for people with prior experience? [I am a member of the Sporting Car Club of SA, and my car is a fairly modified 200rwkw s13, but have yet to see the track.]
My car is unregoed so it would be trailered there, do the same scrutineering regs apply as above? [As far as I can see I'd meet all the requirements, aside from the things listed is there anything else that would be a big no-no? As I have a 3" race system on the car, and it is quite loud [easily 110-120db at a guess], and my engine may have a drop or two of oil on it, but it certainly has no leaks as such.]

That's all I can think of for now, so if there is a particular person I should be speaking to about this sort of info could they please email me at d_s_willoughby@telstra.com or give me a call on 0439 800 393 and leave me a message. Once I'm good to go, I'll then forward on the payment.

Cheers,
Dwayne.
BuLLiTT
General Forum User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:22 pm

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby szymonsta on Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:52 am

hi guys! :wink:
im new on the forum, a friend of FunkyR's. i drive a dc2 integra type-r and am very interested in your track day. i have a few questions for the organisers..

i'm not sure whether its appropriate for me to enter. there is no mention of what the 'categories' for the event are. i beleive my car will be signifficantly slower than most of your lanevo's and i wouldnt want to become an annoying mobile-chicane for the other entrants. my car is daily-driven and light-tuned only (s-tyres, pads, coilovers, ecu, exhaust). i am confident of sub-1:24's all day, my pb is 1:23.05 (i have a myChron lite TG lap timer).
please could you give us an idea if this type of entry is encouraged, in which case i will hope to join your club and get my cams l2s. thankyou and looking forward to the event, either as entrant or spectator.
szymonsta
General Forum User
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:32 am

Re: Phillcom Rally Time Attack General Chat

Postby EVOIX4g63 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:43 am

BuLLiTT wrote:Hey guys,

Came over from the link you posted on nissansilvia, and just have a few quick questions, as I am very keen to attend this event [was going to the drift on the 6th but this is more my style ;P].
Is this event open to beginners, or are you only looking for people with prior experience? [I am a member of the Sporting Car Club of SA, and my car is a fairly modified 200rwkw s13, but have yet to see the track.]
My car is unregoed so it would be trailered there, do the same scrutineering regs apply as above? [As far as I can see I'd meet all the requirements, aside from the things listed is there anything else that would be a big no-no? As I have a 3" race system on the car, and it is quite loud [easily 110-120db at a guess], and my engine may have a drop or two of oil on it, but it certainly has no leaks as such.]

That's all I can think of for now, so if there is a particular person I should be speaking to about this sort of info could they please email me at d_s_willoughby@telstra.com or give me a call on 0439 800 393 and leave me a message. Once I'm good to go, I'll then forward on the payment.

Cheers,
Dwayne.


I would say your car is fine for this event just make sure you have all the correct safety gear.
Image
Black 2006 Evolution IX
Red 2010 Ducati 1198s
White 2009 ZX10R (SOLD)
1967 VC Valiant V8 Regal (SOLD)
User avatar
EVOIX4g63
General Forum User
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:30 am
Location: adelaide

Next

Return to Phillcom Rally Time Attack September 7th 2008

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron